Sign in to follow this  
MaxVengeance

Cutting a large tank in half, feasible?

As the title suggests I’ve been toying with the idea of seeing if a tank builder would be able to cut my 8ft tank in half,and cap the cut ends with a new piece of glass, remove all the old bracing and do euro style bracing, the end result would be  leave me with 2) 4x2x3 tanks that are far more practical than having  the 8 x 2 x 3, it would be nice having such a large tank, but it’s just too much of a mission to move it given my current circumstances, 2 separate tanks would better suit my future breeding projects and I’m only in my current house until July, it’s 12mm glass and it apparently weighs about 300-350kg, took 6 blokes to lift it and the stand which is another 100kg on its own so it’s nearly half a tonne, has anyone ever done something like this or is it just not cost effective and worth the hassle? I could just hire removalists but they quoted me around $400 which isn’t too bad but I would rather put that money towards other things, and I’m still faced with only having 8 weeks until I move so it’s really an $800 exercise for me over the next 8 weeks, has anyone done something similar in the past?

cheers Max

kind off I had a 9x2x3  I got it made into 3 tanks 3x2x3   then a 3x2x2.5   then a 3x2x2  on one stand  all linked with a waterfall it all had to be pulled apart as they could cut the glass cant rember   how much it cost but was happy when it was finished  

@tdj5That would have been an absolute cracker of a setup, do you have any pictures at all?I like the waterfall idea, might have to steal that haha, yea that’s a good point about pulling it all down makes a lot more sense, wouldn’t hurt to have all the silicon re done either, I figure it may be expensive, but glass/ tanks of that size arnt exactly cheap either and i already have it so why not, I’ll be keeping them for a while, food for thought, excited to get things happening cheers for the reply 

Max

38 minutes ago, Jase86uxb said:

scissor lift trolley bro hire one and if done the right way it’s pretty easy to shift big tanks 

You mean to tell me there is a way to move it without compressing 4 vertebrae in my spine, haha, how do they go on grass? I have a stupidly steep driveway and will have to take it through my carport and across the backyard to my sliding door, front door access is a no go, I nearly burnt out the clutch in my work Ute reversing the trailer up the driveway and that was in 4x4, that’s a hot tip, I feel stupid for not thinking about something like that, had to call in bulk favours to pick the tank up when I originally bought it

Straps!!!! And then your helping the weight over grass not taken the whole live load of your tank. I’ve never quite understood how come people need so many people to move things me and my bro moved my old 8x2.5x2.5 all over the joint..... I can’t help but think would be $$ and so much stuffing around cutting up ya tank ect 

On 26/04/2018 at 8:35 AM, MaxVengeance said:

As the title suggests I’ve been toying with the idea of seeing if a tank builder would be able to cut my 8ft tank in half,and cap the cut ends with a new piece of glass, remove all the old bracing and do euro style bracing, the end result would be  leave me with 2) 4x2x3 tanks that are far more practical than having  the 8 x 2 x 3, it would be nice having such a large tank, but it’s just too much of a mission to move it given my current circumstances, 2 separate tanks would better suit my future breeding projects and I’m only in my current house until July, it’s 12mm glass and it apparently weighs about 300-350kg, took 6 blokes to lift it and the stand which is another 100kg on its own so it’s nearly half a tonne, has anyone ever done something like this or is it just not cost effective and worth the hassle? I could just hire removalists but they quoted me around $400 which isn’t too bad but I would rather put that money towards other things, and I’m still faced with only having 8 weeks until I move so it’s really an $800 exercise for me over the next 8 weeks, has anyone done something similar in the past?

cheers Max

Probably not worthwhile.  You’ve got a bit over 7m2 of glass and a bit over 20lm of flat polish edge processing.  It’s been a while since I worked in the glazing game but you’ve got maybe close to $1000 of glass (replacement cost with new).  

So for that you need to get it removed, pulled apart and reprocessed.

my sense is that you might be better off selling yours and buying a couple of nice second hand tanks?

even better create 2 compartments by stick a sheet of poret foam between the two desired compartments.

Steve

Sign in to follow this