Sign in to follow this  
mickodicko

Help nitrite spike in new tank cycle

Hi guys I have recently started up again a Cichlid tank consisting of Malawi Africans 

its 4ft 180lt 

running fluval 206 canister, and all other standard stuff 

my question is.... there is a nitrite spike in a bacterial bloom happening and I’m worried about it since nitrite is death!! 

Is this just standard in a tank cycle? It’s been 3 weeks with 25% water changes done weekly. 

Only chemicals I use is seachem prime and easy life conditioner. 

It has hardly no ammonia, low nitrate but 5ppm nitrite 

. This has been high for bout 3 days now. Fish don’t seem to show any Nitrite stress or symptoms 

should I just ride it out or smash it with prime? 

There is currently 9  juvenile fish and feed them  minimal. 

Nitrate is a killer,

I would start a minimum 25-50% water change daily to get those nitrates down, you can double dose prime with no risk to the fish for the next couple of water changes as it will help detoxify the nitrate- but it will not remove it , that is what the water changes are for 

Also ammonium and nitrite even at low levels are a concern but water changes will help with the lot 

what are your actual readings ? that will identify how drastic you action should be 

Hey slip

my NITRATES are fine it’s my NITRITES that are high!!! 

I’m  guessing this is the process of my cycle but wanting to know if I should treat such a high reading of NITRITES during the cycle process or let it do it’s thing. My pictures are too big to post

ammonia .25

NITRITES 5.0 +

nitrates 10ppm 

sorry I’m not trying to be rude  but a lot of people on other pages get confused between nitRITEs and nitrates lol 

@mickodicko

My bad fella, should have read it a second time, definitely is part of the cycling process, nitrite and ammonia will be there whilst the beneficial bacteria grows in you filter to convert them but the problem is you have fish in the tank

So I would still suggest a hefty water change schedule to dissipate the nitrite till the  bacteria grows in your filter, personally I would go with 25% daily just to keep it as low as possible until your getting zero readings on Ammonia and Nitrate 

3 hours ago, Slipshodman said:

@mickodicko

My bad fella, should have read it a second time, definitely is part of the cycling process, nitrite and ammonia will be there whilst the beneficial bacteria grows in you filter to convert them but the problem is you have fish in the tank

So I would still suggest a hefty water change schedule to dissipate the nitrite till the  bacteria grows in your filter, personally I would go with 25% daily just to keep it as low as possible until your getting zero readings on Ammonia and Nitrate 

Thanks slip

3 hours ago, Slipshodman said:

@mickodicko

Cheers