Hi All, 

Looking to buy a TDS meter, don't want to spend to much, can anyone advise of a decent brand and where to buy and which ones to stay away from (remember i am in NSW) 

(our sponsors are out of stock or do not have them as far as i can tell) 

Also any info on to actually use them, i read somewhere about having to calibrate them 

Cheers 

I use a tds meter everyday at work.

Trust me we have tried a lot of them, and the cheap ones are shit.

This one is the most reliable that we have found and doesnt go out of calibration frequently.

Hope whatever you require it for justifies the cost though....

Screenshot_2018-06-01-15-13-58.png

thanks @borntobreed

I was reading up on whats called "old tank syndrome" were total dissolved solids (TDS) is the true indicator in tank health (read it many times here also) , it was about long term small issues crashing the biological health/cycle of the tank 

I have this terrible feeling i over feed but with my water change schedule never get the nitrogen cycle impacted, but TDS could be increasing to the point of being an issue

So as i do not check PH or adjust as the stability to me is more important than the actual PH reading i did want to check my tanks (x5 currently) TDS to check on long term health... but that cost kinda puts me off, i could cough up maybe 50-100 buckeroos but $250+ is probably a bit too much at the moment 

Do you know what may be the best choice in that price range

Cheers 

I believe "old tank syndrome" is only a issue when never doing water changes, though im not 100% on that.

I recommend checking your local council website as they have information about your tap water, ph, tds, hardness etc.

As for a Tds meter they are only really useful when breeding softwater fish, i have a cheapo one from ebay and is it 100% accurate? doubtful but my plecos breed so idc :P too me it sounds like you would be better off getting a nitrate test not a tds meter.

I agree with @Kalo1993

I also believe almost everyone overfeeds.  The instruction on most feeds IMO tell you to overfeed.  Feed as much as your fish will eat in a few minutes is over feeding.  

I prefer to feed enough to go in well under 1 minute multiple times per day.  

1 hour ago, gingerbeer said:

I agree with @Kalo1993

I also believe almost everyone overfeeds.  The instruction on most feeds IMO tell you to overfeed.  Feed as much as your fish will eat in a few minutes is over feeding.  

I prefer to feed enough to go in well under 1 minute multiple times per day.  

Unless you have some Oscars man they can eat I just got 2 and that's what they want all day is food