Sign in to follow this  
richo_00

6ft tank cycle

Ive just set up a 6x1.5x2ft tank with two otto internal filters.. Just wondering how long I should let it cycle for? Any tips to speed up the process or advice appreciated thanks guys!

You should let it cycle for as long as it takes to cycle. I like to speed things up by adding an already established filter or filter media to the tank, if you add enough the tank becomes pretty much instantly cycled. 

If you dont have an already running filter/media than you should add an ammonia source like a couple pieces of shrimp and keep testing your water until you can read nitrate and no ammonia/nitrite.

Also what do you plan on keeping? as that filtration seems a little light for a tank that size.

If you're keeping hardier fish they might survive if you cycle with them but I still think they'd be stressed and cycling will take longer if you need to do more water changes... To speed things up you can use existing media like Kalo mentioned or use one of those bacteria in a bottle (never tried it so don't know how well they work).

Other things you can do to speed things up at this time of the year is bumping up the temperature (say 27/28C) and aerating the water. Not really a problem for most people but make sure your ph isn't way too acidic.

Sign in to follow this