I have 2 big tanks that l am going to set up as freshwater and l would love to put some white sand in them.

Can someone tell me what is the best sand and where to buy it from, l have heard bunnings sandpit sand is good

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Depends what look you want. Bunnings play sand is almost like a really light brown. Some landscape places may have some sand. Or there’s a guy at the Gold Coast that sells pure white sand from Fraser Island (nice and white). All need to be washed thoroughly though. 

Fraser island sand ehhh not as far as i know....sand mining stopped on frazer in 1977..

Fraser is heritage listed so being able to get sand from there  as far as i can see is near impossible .. but im willing to be proved wrong. I think the only sand that comes off fraser is in the carpet of your 4 wd

Ive been a brickie for 25 yrs and have never used fraser sand..our pure white sand either mined on straddie or byron bay..straddie mining stops next year

Other option is pit sand but make sure its pure pit sand not a blend....The blend usually has loam in it and that will create a beautiful shade of mud look in your tank....pit usually has from a slight yellow to grey look..

.a simple way to tell if its blended and not straight pit is to grab a handfull  of some with a bit of moisture in it and rub it between both hands...pure pit will not leave a dirty smudge on your hands  just sand  cos therez no clay content in it..a blend will 

Still make sure to wash either sand as there will be some floaties and impurities

Fraser island sand ehhh not as far as i know....sand mining stopped on frazer in 1977..
Fraser is heritage listed so being able to get sand from there  as far as i can see is near impossible .. but im willing to be proved wrong. I think the only sand that comes off fraser is in the carpet of your 4 wd
Ive been a brickie for 25 yrs and have never used fraser sand..our pure white sand either mined on straddie or byron bay..straddie mining stops next year

Other option is pit sand but make sure its pure pit sand not a blend....The blend usually has loam in it and that will create a beautiful shade of mud look in your tank....pit usually has from a slight yellow to grey look..
.a simple way to tell if its blended and not straight pit is to grab a handfull  of some with a bit of moisture in it and rub it between both hands...pure pit will not leave a dirty smudge on your hands  just sand  cos therez no clay content in it..a blend will 
 Still make sure to wash either sand as there will be some floaties and impurities
Thanks billfish, l will take that on board

2 hours ago, billfish said:

I think this guy does it illegally. He goes on a holiday and collects the sand in bags and sells them for $30 for 30kg of sand from Fraser. But the sand does look really nice in the tank 

I think this guy does it illegally. He goes on a holiday and collects the sand in bags and sells them for $30 for 30kg of sand from Fraser. But the sand does look really nice in the tank 
Bit of pocket money

It will be interesting when mr fisheries does a vehicle check and finds hes raping beach sand from fraser gunna need to have sold  a lot to recover the fine he will cop when environment and heritage get involved,,!they fine people as hard as the e.p.a....

im all for people making a bit of money on the side but personally i wouldnt touch that sand

In the scheme of things hes not large scale and  doing no real harm to the island ,as more sand leaves the island each day in the surf than he can take ,but is it small scale environmental vandalism ,thats everyones opinion to form

personally i wouldnt touch it  ,im no tree hugging greenie by a long shot

people breaking laws is why we are in the predicament we re in now with access to fish species to fill our little glass boxes

time to get off my high horse ..........

still check out the landscape yards 

Nuway at Burpengary sell white silver sand  if i remember  rightly 1/4 cubic metre costs about $60,, to $70 which is about 350 kg  ,,bag the rest and make some cash ,,, 

I know nuway at mango hill sell it by the bag  aswell,,,cant remember the price but i should  imagine  it would be cheaper than 30 per bag,,,,my guess is 10 to 15 

It will be interesting when mr fisheries does a vehicle check and finds hes raping beach sand from fraser gunna need to have sold  a lot to recover the fine he will cop when environment and heritage get involved,,!they fine people as hard as the e.p.a....
im all for people making a bit of money on the side but personally i wouldnt touch that sand
In the scheme of things hes not large scale and  doing no real harm to the island ,as more sand leaves the island each day in the surf than he can take ,but is it small scale environmental vandalism ,thats everyones opinion to form
personally i wouldnt touch it  ,im no tree hugging greenie by a long shot
people breaking laws is why we are in the predicament we re in now with access to fish species to fill our little glass boxes
time to get off my high horse ..........

still check out the landscape yards 
Nuway at Burpengary sell white silver sand  if i remember  rightly 1/4 cubic metre costs about $60,, to $70 which is about 350 kg  ,,bag the rest and make some cash ,,, 
I know nuway at mango hill sell it by the bag  aswell,,,cant remember the price but i should  imagine  it would be cheaper than 30 per bag,,,,my guess is 10 to 15 
I will check them out, im only at upper caboolture, thanks

I've recently used Bunnings play sand in combination with smaller amounts of used ADA Amazonia, a really fine gravel and slightly darker/more variable sand from Petbarn. I wanted to end up with fairly natural looking substrate (i.e. not homogenous), and am happy with how that combination turned out.

The Bunnings play sand itself does have some impurities in it, and also caused a bit of froth on the surface after filling. Colour wise I would say it's a touch on the grey side, but still looks good in the tank (for my tannin-rich setup anyhow).

This pic might give you a bit of an idea, but there is a lot of tannin making it look yellow...

DSC_3241_small

The pool filter sand I use is super white, a little courses than play sand so it won’t trap and gases from breaking down flood, being courses the parties are heavier so you don’t end up with it in your filter. Great stuff 

The pool filter sand I use is super white, a little courses than play sand so it won’t trap and gases from breaking down flood, being courses the parties are heavier so you don’t end up with it in your filter. Great stuff 
Im guessing it needs to be washed pretty thoroughly

Bunnings has bags of tilers sand out in the building supplys area. Its double washed already and semi thick coursed. Kind of yellowish tint to it but i looks natural.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:03 PM, Julio_13 said:

Well I hope they come knocking at his door

Sunstate sands has a sand mine out near me,will be the same as fraser sand. its only just opened back up and its pure white  a truck and dog rolled on the access road the other day, sand everywhere, im going down with my ute to pick up a load

image.thumb.png.b2734010067bea99ae95198891911d1d.png