Sign in to follow this  
sharknado

simple handles for fishtank lids ?

Just had a couple of glass lids made for my cichlid tank but wrecking my brain what to use as handles for the smaller (front) lids that I need to open when feeding/cleaning etc. I mean I can grab the glass around the edges as I've left a bit of a gap for ventilation purposes, but I'm far less likely to drop the lid if I can lift it by a handle (I'm a klutz)

I've looked around Bunnings but couldn't really find anything to suit...

Ideally they'd be perspex/acrylic H strips that I can cut to size (H tilted 90 degrees gives you one top, one bottom flat surface and I can superglue the bottom to the lid) ..know what I mean? any suggestions? should I just get a sheet or acrylic and cut the bits myself and superglue them to get the desired H shape..? Dont really know how to cut small bits of acrylic accurately 

handle.png

You can buy plastic strips like the H mould u mentioned from bunnings.

Its usually near the roller doors out in the timber section (its normally used for joining sheets of fibro sheeting or similar sheeting.

Or you could simply drill a small hole in front lid to act as a handle.

If you have lots of tanks, sliding lids are the go

Just spent an hour at Bunnings looking for those H strips (before I read your reply) because I was sure I'd seen them somwhere before just couldn't remember... lol back to Bunnings again. Thanks all

Drilling holes would be the safe option. Anything glued on has the chance to fail as I have found out. I made some handles up out of perspex and silicone them on like tdj5 shown above. Had 1 fall off when I was holding it and instinctively tried to catch the glass with my leg.... yeah... did not end well.

Sign in to follow this