Sign in to follow this  
Gavin1980

Lights

Can anyone please recommend what lights would be best for a 4x2x2 tank?  This is currently not a planted tank, fish only.

If I want to future proof the lights for a planted tank later on, what lights would be best?

for planted you want something that does full spectrum and also has high PAR values. Makemyled make good lights apparently and can wire in automatic controllers in with gradual light increase/decrease etc

My new tank came with a ecoglow (aquaone I think) and I think it's more than sufficient for a non planted tank. perhaps even a bit too strong .. I might wire in a wifi controller to turn down the brightness a bit.

Just bear in mind ..high PAR lights with no CO2 or fertswill most likely result in tons of algae

Iv used fluval lights for my tanks for the last five years no dramas, do the job. come in a 4ft length (i have two on my 8ft, have the planted ones now but started of with the marines 

I have been looking at the Fluval and as a cheaper alternative the Petworx but not sure if they are suited for the height of my tank, especially if I want to go all out on a planted tank later. Petworx can't be dimmed either. I checked out Makemyled, made in Australia, 5 year warranty, quality parts used, flexible system which can be expanded later, spare parts available, and have been very supportive in working out what setup is best. Has anyone had any experience with their product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Gavin1980 said:

I have been looking at the Fluval and as a cheaper alternative the Petworx but not sure if they are suited for the height of my tank, especially if I want to go all out on a planted tank later. Petworx can't be dimmed either. I checked out Makemyled, made in Australia, 5 year warranty, quality parts used, flexible system which can be expanded later, spare parts available, and have been very supportive in working out what setup is best. Has anyone had any experience with their product?

I have Petworx LEDS on all my planted tanks. They are great on 12 inch deep tanks and fair on 18 inch deep tanks but I think 18 inches deep are the limit of their light for plant growth. I wouldn't consider them for growing plants in a 2 foot deep tank. They are also limited to growing low and medium light plants, they do not have the power for high light plants. Also the legs on them are crap, they are hard to adjust and tend to jam up.

I have makemyled tubes on my tank and would recommend. They were great to deal with and the lights are top quality. The auto controller is handy too.  

I dont have CO2 and as mentioned they do cause a lot of algae growth until you work out a balance. 

B_Man, what's the height of your tank and which model light did you go for? Is your tank planted?

I checked Aquaholic's lights and they don't specify what height of tank they're suited for. I couldn't find the same info for the Fluval range either.

Makemyled is looking like the right choice at the moment.

I also like the Makemyled lights - many of the models have lenses that can be added to focus the lights to penetrate deeper tanks.  On my planted tanks I use the 10000K XB2 tubes.  I put 2 tubes over a 4x2x2 with 90 degree lenses but  3 tubes would work too.    Since I got mine they have brought out a number of powerful panel lights that have varying levels of adjustment and look better on the top of a tank (tubes are good in a hood or under a rack in the fishroom - the XB panel lights are effectively the same as 2-5 XB2 tubes stacked side by side in a panel).   Fred @ Makemyled is pretty good at answering questions too.

On 15/08/2018 at 12:44 PM, Gavin1980 said:

B_Man, what's the height of your tank and which model light did you go for? Is your tank planted?

I checked Aquaholic's lights and they don't specify what height of tank they're suited for. I couldn't find the same info for the Fluval range either.

Makemyled is looking like the right choice at the moment.

My tank is a 4x2x2 as well and is planted with swords, crypts, java fern and willow hygro. I have two full spectrum tubes and an RGB. As Grubs said, Fred is very good at responding to emails and he will be able to give you some good advice on the right system for your tank. 

Sign in to follow this