Sign in to follow this  
Mrayzzz

Dying fish new tank

So I had 10 tiger barbs, 1 heckelii, and a cherry barb in my newly setup tank. I went to fish store they said it was fine for me to put in the fish. I had my tank running for 3 days when they told me this. Now it’s been about a week and today I’m the morning 2 tigers were dead. I get home now and 3 more tigers are dead. I don’t know where the cherry is at all. What can I do to not have the rest of the fish die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Refer your previous posts - you didnt cycle the tank and its possible that now the fish waste ammonia has reached  toxic levels in the week since you added fish.

Read this:  https://www.thesprucepets.com/ammonia-poisoning-1378479 

You need to:

(1) change 50% of the water immediately to reduce the concentrations of ammonia/nitrite (use dechlorinator).  Stiring in a couple of teaspoons of non-iodised salt can help reduce the toxic effects on the fish.

(2) ASAP add bacteria either in the form of mature filter media from another tank or as a "bacteria in a bottle" treatment you buy from the shop.

(3) ideally get a water test kit and test your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and compare to the graph in the link I gave you last time.http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/The_Nitrogen_Cycle

...alternatively, take the living fish back to the shop and keep one of the smaller dead fish rotting in the tank for the next month to cycle the tank - then in 4-6 weeks when your  water test kit shows that you have zero ammonia and nitrite you can go back to the shop and buy fish for your cycled tank.

39 minutes ago, Mrayzzz said:

I went to fish store they said it was fine for me to put in the fish. I had my tank running for 3 days when they told me this.

Your fish store advice was terribly inadequate IMO. 

Sadly i think you were lead astray by your pet store,  there are some products you can buy that will assist and hopefully avoid any more losses,  doing water changes will help remove the toxic ammonia but invest I'm some seachem stability to stabilise your tank 

Still amazes me to this day that customers buying and setting up new tanks are not sold a basic ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit as a compulsory purchase with the tank.......

Or even keeping any fish at all at any stage without one......

shit that doesnt make sense ,it makes me a bit angry when shit doesnt make any sense....

it's just dumb :roll:

weird shit :?

your tank was not cycled it sounds like u have gone through new tank syndrome alot of people make that misake learning should be your first step befor keeping fish cycling a tank can take a month or longer 3 days is not good enough hard lesson to learn

Update: I think the Geophagus was messing with all the fish when I wasn’t home or at night. Since the last fish had died I thought maybe my tank was the issue so I went to the fish store to have everything tested. It all came back normal so I ended up getting another fish, the green Severum. Tanks been fine since the waters been tested and new fish was added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tank still needs to cycle so i would definately buy a test kit,if the ammonia reached toxic levels it doesnt matter how much luck u have had fish may die as theres not enough bacteria in the filter  to detoxify and nuetralise the ammonia....google aquarium nitrogen cycle,it will explain what we are on about

The fish shops advise was still wrong  3 days is not long enough for your tank to establish itself ,tanks can take up to 3 months to fully cycle ..and its a trap a lot of newcomers to the game fall into,they buy a tank then want the pretty fish to go in it,and unfortunately a few live fish shops are more than willing to sell you the fish no questions asked ,even when you purchase the set up and fish together,wheather its ignorance or they know you will come back and buy more as the fish float and no longer breathe and swim, my advice has always been to buy the setup and all plants and get the whole thing running then buy 1 or 2 fish  to start the process, unless you can do a fishless cycle or seed the tank with filter media from an established tank

adding fish slowly is always the key each fish you add even to an established aquarium increases the bio load as theres only ever enough good bacteria to maintain the levels in the tank so each fish requires an increase in waste and new bacteria needs time  to establish 

@raycam01_au i agree with your comment in principle, but if you google a fish, its requirements and stuff you dont necessarily find anything about the nitrogen cycle,new tank syndrome and if youve never heard the term you wouldnt know what to look for, 

Not being sold even a basic test kit is stupidity on behalf of the lfs,or is it.? No test kit but they offer a water test service means they can sell you another hundred dollars worth of chemicals to establish the tank ,that could be smart,,but i doubt it,because who really wants to be pouring unnecessary chemicals into our little glass boxes

Sign in to follow this