steven

my hongi is holding

I have a hongi holding been holding for one day the other fish are chasing her shoud I get her out and put her in a hatchery or another tank or just strip her its my first time these fish have held so not quite sure what to do

net hatcherys are 20cmlongx12cmwidex15cmdeep

pls reply fast i don't want her baybys to die or for her to stess out

Sounds like your more worried than she is!!!

If you think shes getting chased too much then yes you should get her out. I wouldn't milk her, especially as she has only been holding for a day. It can be quite tricky artificially hatch eggs, can take quite a bit of trail and error. The other thing you can try is to give the females more places to hide, this is why some people have so many rocks in their tanks.

Matt

i had the same things happen to me over a week ago, hongi girl hideing up the top of the tank getting nailed every time she came down.

Removed her for 10 days into a separate tank and stripped her last night, have i think 9 baby fry with oak sacks sitting in the strainer on a bubler.

Now letting her fatten back up befor returning her to the community tank, i dont like the idea of my girl being in a little net for 10 days :( Seems mean because they love to swi so much :D

just remember that when you go to put them back in with the other fish in the colony she will be like a newbie and the others can pick on them even more that is why i prefer to use traps in their own tank so they are still part of the colony and there is no probs when you release them back to the population jmo

mark

I use a spare tank for females sometimes. Depends on the colony & spare space at the time.

Usually the spare tank has 2-3 girls in there as I may strip 2 one weekend, 1 the next etc. I release them all back in at the same time.

Or if you have just one female. I re-introduce when doing a water change in the main tank. Therefore the tank has been taken apart. Re introduce before rocks are placed back in, give them a feed, usually all good.

I don't like using nets in main tanks. Found them to be more harm than good. Territories exist in the tank with the female stuck in the corner, therefore when re leased, she will find herself back in the same corner.

Unless she is high up in the female chain & can hold her own. Depends on the fish really.

Frenchy :D

thanks mark :D never thought of it like that before. Lucky this one doesnt have a colony as such and just a lone male in her proper tank so hopefully i havent dug her grave.

Guess a huge ass breeding net is now on my shopping list for the weekend.

Sorry to hijack ya thread steven but it was intersting to know :D

dont worry abut it any way i'll probably keep her in the net because nothings bothering her shes doing fine and shes about 10cm i bought her from the auction only by her self in her own bag it said on the bag it was a male but shes holding I know this because when I put her in the net she spat three eggs and then pick them up again so obviously shes female because males can't be pregnant she will be fine when I put her with the colony there all no bigger then 7to8 cm so shes way bigger

Oh, to answer a question of Stevens elsewhere.

also how long do hongis hold for and whens the best time to strip them only want to strip when free swimming not as eggs

Its the same as the answer you got here,

http://qldaf.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2373

2-3 weeks.

I don't mean to pick, but I like the speed of replies on the other forum. :lol: & then when someone did answer a question. It was Grummys mate from drummy who gave you a 20 line dribble about keeping them & didn't even answer your question about sexing :roll::lol:

Easy enough for Victorians, males colour up, females don't. Even recessive males show some colour. The 2nd male dosen't look to bad, 3rd male bit more pale etc. & these recessive males will also be the ones the dominant male will madly chase around all day.

That should leave you with the rest, who don't seem to do much but cruise or lay low.

Frenchy :D