Sign in to follow this  
lilviss

Plumbing aquarium for canister filter

Hey guys

Can I use the bulkheads in the tank to attach a canister filter? Or would there be issues I haven't thought of.

I've attached a (terrible) mock up on paint to show you what I mean.

I plan to change to a sump eventually

image.thumb.png.fe71540b0b2be304f6409ef74f9756df.png

I have done this on a co2ed planted tank to keep surface agitation to a minimum . and because it was "euro braced" .

There are things to be aware of especially when cleaning the filter  ( praise be unto Eheim double taps ) with a miscalculation ( accidentally pull a hose apart at the compression fitting while trying to get the actual connection apart  for 1 ) you can drop a lot of water before you stop the flow . plumbing is significantly different for a Canister to a Sump . Canister is a Siphon  and sump is an overflow .

but that said it can be done , it works well , you just need to think about what you are doing and how you are going to implement it .

just remember that all of the pipe is always below the water level and has a pre- started siphon waiting to empty your tank to the bottom of the inlet inside the tank .

A minor issue too is bleeding all the air out of the filter becomes an order of magnitude more difficult too .

would it be the same cannister set up? like replacing just the inlet and outlet with pipes drilled to the tank? i have seen that done. maybe get yourself an eheim 2260 (if it fits in the cabinet) the intake has bigger tubes. if you want to experiment you can  have 2x 2260 running in series for better media capacity.

Sign in to follow this