Sign in to follow this  
Gavin1980

Filter Leaking

I have an old Aquaclear 200 hang on filter in mint condition and has about 4-6 years of use on it but is over 10 years old.  Since starting the hobby again recently I have been having trouble with this filter leaking where the motor screws in.  I have replaced the o-ring with a brand new Aquaclear one and it still leaks.  Up until the weekend it would only leak for a little while after removing it for cleaning but since the last clean out on the weekend the leak has not stopped.  I have even put o-ring grease on it but doesn't make any difference.  I have a feeling that the housing just doesn't have the same tight fit due to age.  Is this a common problem with these filters as they get old?

Any solutions besides buying a new filter?

Is that also suitable for making aquariums out of or just sealing?

I was also thinking of trying a thicker o-ring if I can get one to suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Gavin1980 said:

Is that also suitable for making aquariums out of or just sealing?

I was also thinking of trying a thicker o-ring if I can get one to suit.

Yes it's all good for aquariums I always have one on hand 

I had a similar problem recently reviving a 10 year old Fluval 305 canister filter.

Ended up giving all the o rings (2) a good coating of Vaseline.

Presto, no more problems.

Cheers

I had a similar problem recently reviving a 10 year old Fluval 305 canister filter.
Ended up giving all the o rings (2) a good coating of Vaseline.
Presto, no more problems.
Cheers

Might give that a go. Is Vaseline really safe for fish?

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm going to first try chocking it with lots of o-ring grease for and hope it works, otherwise I'll use Vaseline.  Then I'm going to see if I can get a thicker o-ring to suit for a more permanent fix.  I can only assume that this is a common problem with these filters with age.  The plastic must eventually give a little in size.

So I've sealed up the o-ring area with lots of o-ring grease and it's been going for over a couple of weeks with no leaks. The product used is a non-petroleum based o-ring grease called Doustgrease Anti-Wear Grease bought from Bunnings. I use this on all aquarium pump and tap seals to extend their life.

Sign in to follow this