Sign in to follow this  
Ashton84

starting a pond and want to catch my own natives

Hi, so Im wanting to catch some natives to put in a pond (something I can do with my son to show him a bit of wildlife and get us out of the house) and am wondering if anyone has any pointers on best ways to catch them ( I have a net and a small trap) or any possible good spots on the south side of Brisbane/Logan area - I know its probably a slim chance.  I have caught a few Firetail Gudgeons but that seems to be all I can find - would like to find something a bit more interesting.  I was actually wondering if Karawatha Forest is a nature reserve or just a "recreational reserve" as the signs say? for now I'm assuming its a no go zone.  Any help/tips/pointers  would be greatly appreciated

Been a puddle pirate for over 50 years.....IMO this is the best way to catch natives

You can buy(or make) dilly net (one on the right can be bought on eBay) mesh needs to be mozzie net size or slightly larger

Find a bridge or log across a creek you want to fish

put 100mm of water into the bottom of a bucket...for fish you catch

lower dilly net into water.....if its shallow it can sit on the bottom.....deeper water let it sit half a meter below the water

Get a loaf of bread....roll the bread into small balls no bigger than a fingernail so it sinks

throw ball of doe (squashed bread) into the wall one ball at a time....10-20 seconds apart. Rainbows, Blue eyes and gudgeons(but also gambusia, swordtails and tilapia)will come and pick at bread as it sinks

throw bread so it ends in the net, no drama if the odd one misses. Depends on how patient you are to how much bread you use. the more throws the bigger fish arrive to see whats happening

When you are ready pull dilly net out of the water.....select what you want, destroy any non native species and return the rest.....repeat

5b9af05d6cc98_Fishnets.thumb.jpg.31c91d670b92ca0b54d6220f8d14e5ac.jpg

Thanks Rod,  don’t think I could get much more of a “how to” than that.   Puddle Pirate has got to be one of the best terms I’ve heard in a while.  Don’t suppose you’d know any areas close to Logan that might be worth a shot? I’ve read there’s Empire Gudgeons and glassfish been seen near me but yet to see anything other than carp gudgeons, Platys and mosquito fish myself. Oh and thousands of freshwater shrimp. 

Hi Ashton,

I'm a Northside boy....dont know the Logan area

Moggill Creek has it all.....rainbows, smelt ,blue-eyes, as well as gudgeons and ferals

Happy puddling!