Sign in to follow this  
Lippa

Stunted silver sharks

Hey I bought these little guys around 3 months ago. They don’t seem to have put any size at all and are kinda bent like a banana. Tank is well cycled 600lts. All other fish purchased around the same time are fit and healthy. Is this normal for sharks? It’s been 10plus years since I’ve kept them but I thought they grew rapidly

E4AA94EE-95F2-4A30-A4F6-8280D673C238.jpeg

392022F2-4E96-49FF-B0E3-15BCF45D66C8.jpeg

A54C0A7D-FB66-420A-9525-EC7D96C70550.jpeg

528EDFC8-C9CA-477A-9FF7-BD3F5F39B355.jpeg

22D649B4-4DA8-45FA-A2E6-0D1174DA2208.jpeg

This is not looking good , the flagtail looks to be "pinched in " around the head as well .

there is not enough detail in the pictures to tell further , but it looks like a pathogen , Most likely bacterial , but possibly viral .

Both the Flagtail and the Sharks are neutral to slightly acid water fish , so extremes of hard alkaline water would weaken them , but I would think that that would kill you neons so I do not think that is the issue .

22 hours ago, pony-tail said:

This is not looking good , the flagtail looks to be "pinched in " around the head as well .

there is not enough detail in the pictures to tell further , but it looks like a pathogen , Most likely bacterial , but possibly viral .

Both the Flagtail and the Sharks are neutral to slightly acid water fish , so extremes of hard alkaline water would weaken them , but I would think that that would kill you neons so I do not think that is the issue .

That’s because it’s not a flagtail 

I’d say not eating can’t grow if ya don’t eat 

with your siver shark all so known as a bala shark what are u feeding them they are very thin i dont think they will get better its rather common with small silver shark they eat brine shrimp and need veg in there diet if u want to fatten them up a bit boil some pumpkin and let it cool down then feed that to them and  jase86uxb is right its viral the ph should be 7 and modrately hard

26 minutes ago, Jase86uxb said:

Don’t know but not a flagtail probably barb of some sort or something lol 

Are you sure - you don't seem to know what it is .

Semaprochilodus insignis (Flagtail Prochilodus)

look at the shape of the scales , the position of the pectoral fins - under the gill covers , not behind , the shape of the head .
just the pectorals indicate that it is not a barb .

maxresdefault.jpg

That’s a red rainbowfish. I’ve kept fish for over 30 years, I realise they gotta eat.

they are fed morning and night. Hi Kari mini wafers hikari wafers and algae. Also fed pea and prawn mix live black worms and frozen bloodworm.

everything else has grown at normal rates Angela and loaches have tripled in size.

ill try get some clearer pics tonight

next question , are they eating the food , please watch carefully  to make sure . that red rainbow has me worried because it is across different species and one that would normally get very fat on what is being fed .

and apologies to jase it is not a flagtail but nor is it a barb .

1 hour ago, pony-tail said:

please do !

I just PMed the op and asked so should be resolved soon .

Kool thanks for the PM but hey you were wrong if you want to tell me how little I probably know and how much more you know then me no need to do it privately 

Thanks guy, very hard to get good pics they are very active!

just fed micro wafers and pea & prawn and they ate what was there as well as the rest of the fish

CA3B93B1-BE55-47E3-93F9-F2700EB9BA54.jpeg

0B28F0B6-2BD0-4D96-9695-BAA283AD9D0D.jpeg

24602BC5-44A5-4A92-9CDA-C29E0EFA4A1B.jpeg

E3B91625-7F24-4621-9C69-D234BD3ED631.jpeg

C859DA7E-0E3E-4B03-8BDD-1B6AF6999777.jpeg

these fish are ammonia sensitive , can get injuries to digestive track if fed bloodworms , and sensitive to low oxygen slow flowing water .

from what you have said , none of these appears to be the issue .

have any of the fish in the tank had sores on them ?

I’ve been watching them closely eating over the past few days. They seem to only take the micro wafers that fall in the water column. They don’t graze the bottom like the other species.

what other foods should I offer?

done water tests again. Perf ct.

0B0776AB-B630-4473-8FCD-2168BDF056C9.jpeg

Sign in to follow this