I am not a DIY kinda person but I've always wanted a black-backed, tiled tank. Soooo I'm finally jumping in and doing it. It's going to be boring for many, but it's going to be a fancy goldfish display tank in my living room :) 5x2x2 dimensions.

It was in pretty terrible condition since it's been sitting empty for about 6 months as I wait for inspiration to hit after a dropsy outbreak killed all of my beautiful babies. Worst aquarium nightmare I've been through so I was in no rush to setup again. 

Here's the finished painted background (acrylic, 5 coats) and cleaned glass. Next step is tiles and fill, ready to cycle. I'm pretty impressed with how it has come out so far.

5bb0214c4890c_backgrounddone.thumb.jpg.79e39879c36434136f4276436b162212.jpg

Before.jpg

One coat.jpg

I found some black tiles, but not black-black gloss purely because of cost, and I'll be putting in a handful of features for decoration so it won't be too much of an issue. 

Just waiting on my canister filter from Age of Aquariums to come in next week, then we can start the cycle :) 

Also purchased some baby Ryukins, and a 9cm red cap Oranda yesterday and have them in treated quarantine tubs where they will stay the next 4-6 weeks for them to prove they won't be taking any nasties into the tank, and it will also depend on how long it takes my tank to cycle. With a bit of filter from another small tank to kick start the system I'm hoping for just a few weeks as opposed to a month or more. 

tank tiled.jpg

quaranine tub.jpg

Still waiting to get a good pic of the other 3 fishies out of quarantine, but here is the very pretty red-cap Oranda. The colours really pop on a black background! :) 

The tank deco is still a bit sad, I'm just waiting on some glass vases to arrange and plant up (for all of 5 minutes while the goldfish determinedly try to eat it I"m sure). Still just tiles, background, and a few fake plants for now for Goldie comfort.

In terms of equipment, I'm cheap. I've had Eheim canisters/heaters previously but I'm sticking to budget stuff this time round to see how we go and potentially save some moolah. Age of Aquariums is my LFS and where I grab all of my stuff generally and they're great info givers for an amateur like me :) 

5x2x2 tank Filtration

1 x internal 1500l/h and

1 x petworx 2200l/h external canister with UV

Capture.JPG