Sign in to follow this  
Mackayman

Discus are a drama. End of my tether !!!

Seriously, been keeping discus for around 18 months now. Just can't get a win, every thing is going good then out of the blue one will just cark it.

Bloody expensive fish and i just cant seem to keep them long term. Frustrates the bejeezus out of me . 

I never claim to be a guru but i been keeping fish for 25 years  and never had the trouble i have with discus.

Keen to hear from other (long term) discus keepers .

Have the fish just become hi bred phuck up"s ?   Or am i just a $hite fish keeper

Loaches and sailfin pleco been in the same tank for 9 years now with no problems.

:?

Brendan

Tap water Craigo . All the right treatments. As i say, dont have this trouble with anything else and i've kept just about everything ( freshwater ) over the years.

Just really pissed atm an venting .......... as i watch my hard earned dollars go in the bin. :x

Been keeping discus on and off for over 20 years. I haven't had issues. The last time I kept discus was for 3-4 years until November 2017. Only had 2 sub-adults cark it in that time and a handful (10-20) fry/juvies died while growing them out (which I think is quite normal for breeding/growing out fry).

I find they do best with more water changes than less. I was doing 50% WCs at least 2-3 times a week and sometimes on a good week I do daily WCs, but sometimes I could only manage WC for the adults once a fortnight. I am more diligent doing WCs for the fry/juvies depending on work.

I use rain water/RO water/mix tap/RO waste to get TDS 60-80 for breeding pairs and tap water/RO waste around TDS 200-400 to grow out juvies. Once the young get to size, I just keep them in regular tap water.

Adults were mostly fed FDBW and NLS discus pellets in auto feeder (while I am at work) and juvies on BBS/moina/FDBW/NLS pellets/Tetra Colour.

They are not that difficult in my experience. The key is clean water. With clean water, they don't sulk, they grow well and rarely have diseases. I don't worm them regularly (I know some people do) and do not run a UV either. Just simple clean water and good-ish food.

Hope this helps. They are amazing fish but I had to give them up due to new additions to my family. :)

1 hour ago, jc12 said:

Been keeping discus on and off for over 20 years. I haven't had issues. The last time I kept discus was for 3-4 years until November 2017. Only had 2 sub-adults cark it in that time and a handful (10-20) fry/juvies died while growing them out (which I think is quite normal for breeding/growing out fry).

I find they do best with more water changes than less. I was doing 50% WCs at least 2-3 times a week and sometimes on a good week I do daily WCs, but sometimes I could only manage WC for the adults once a fortnight. I am more diligent doing WCs for the fry/juvies depending on work.

I use rain water/RO water/mix tap/RO waste to get TDS 60-80 for breeding pairs and tap water/RO waste around TDS 200-400 to grow out juvies. Once the young get to size, I just keep them in regular tap water.

Adults were mostly fed FDBW and NLS discus pellets in auto feeder (while I am at work) and juvies on BBS/moina/FDBW/NLS pellets/Tetra Colour.

They are not that difficult in my experience. The key is clean water. With clean water, they don't sulk, they grow well and rarely have diseases. I don't worm them regularly (I know some people do) and do not run a UV either. Just simple clean water and good-ish food.

Hope this helps. They are amazing fish but I had to give them up due to new additions to my family. :)

Yeah I'm not sure jc.

I do 50 % water changes every three days, have a sumped system with all the essential bells and whistles and a fair bit of experience.

The Marlboro Reds and yellows do ok, have been there 18 months . Just about anything else i try goes well for 6 months and then turns up toes.

There does seem to be some territorial issues cause a bit of stress ( Discus aren't the calm placid creatures some will have you believe ) but outside of that I can't see anything i can do to improve the situation.

Brendan

Sign in to follow this