Sign in to follow this  
Craigo

Cheap wall insulation??

Hello, In all my fish rooms I've had I have never insulated. Ever. I just dealt with the weather as it happened. 

Probably very energy inefficiently as well I would guess.

So I'm Going to be using half of my small garden shed this time as a 'room' as its just a simple Gal 'Stratco' type kit shed with this sheet walls I am considering insulating it. 

Cost is a major factor in this small build.

SO, I am looking for any suggestions for cheap enough insulation to go onto the inside of the shed walls to help me out. 

Any recommendations appreciated, I am looking at 'FoilBoard' brand panels from Bunnings but they are $40 a panel and I will need a few of them even for a small shed. 

Thickness is also a consideration as I don't want to detract from my already limited space. 

Thanks Guys & Gals!

wh58f64204.jpg

I use polystyrene sheet. The cheapest I've found is greenboard which is usually grooved but can also be bought as flat if you order in. 40mm thick is plenty for fish room insulation. 2400mm x 1200mm is a standard sheet. Either directly attach to your wall with adhesive or to the studs to create a space off the wall for additional insulation. I prefer silicone adhesive as liquid nails is almost impossible to remove later. And self drilling screws with collars right through the sheets into roof rafters to hold while glue grabs. Greenboard has anti insect chemicals impregnated but I haven't found this to be a problem and does stop cockroach and mice eating away untreated polystyrene which has happened to me. You could paint the greenboard surface if your worried about compensation drips into tanks. 

Insulation makes a huge difference in summer and winter. 

2400mm x 1200mm x 40mm greenboard is about $16 per sheet from memory. Very easy to cut and re-glue back if cut wrongly. 

Even plastic sheet or roof sarking to create an air space barrier will make a difference. 

Sign in to follow this