Gavin1980

Nitrate Filtration

I currently have a Eheim 600 filled with 2/3 of Seachem Matrix on my 4x2x2.  I only have one 21cm Coal Grunter in the tank.  Due to work commitments it has been 3 weeks since the last water change.  I always do a 50% water change.  My nitrates are now through the roof at at least 80ppm.  I normally do a water change every week.  Regardless, I still seem to always be at the higher end of the nitrate levels.  I have considered upgrading to a Eheim 1500 or Fluval FX6.  Would upgrading to a larger canister filter help keep the nitrates down provided I use around 2/3 Seachem Matrix in it?

From what I have read about the Seachem Matrix, it's meant to allow anaerobic bacteria to grow inside the media to remove the nitrates.  However, a large cannister has a high flow rate which means it wouldn't be very efficient at this process which means the upgrade to a larger filter may not make much difference and be a waste of money.  What's everyone's thoughts?

I don't think that a larger canister will help you. Not too convinced that there'll be a good amount of effective anaerobic area in the matrix inside a canister filter. Definitely try what Rod suggested. Perhaps a refugium with lots of plants will work better than a larger canister? Or maybe have a look at some nitrate media for short term use? (Not sure how well they work though).