Sign in to follow this  
FREDDY FISHEAD

HOB filters

Hi, I'm thinking of trying this type of filtration for a future African cichlid or goldfish (haven't decided yet) tank. Does anyone have good experience with them, probably larger ones?

I would like to try Africans but know they need heaps of filtration.

Regards 

Been using HOB filters along with other types on my aquariums for a few years now. They're good at breaking the water surface. I find them very easy to maintain (2nd to sponge filters), I just pull my media basket/net whenever I want to clean the media. I replaced the stock plastic media and carbon with spare bio media that I have. I also use a sponge on the intake which I clean often. Stops food and whatnot from getting sucked into the filter.

I've got no major complaints with them. Not too loud at all. Way quieter than my air pump :-P. Only issue I experienced was that the impeller stopped spinning on one of the hob as it got clogged but got it back up and running without any further issue.

Some things you might want to consider:
= If it's not self priming, you have to scoop water in your filter every time you do a water change (if the water gets siphoned out of the intake tube).
= Pay particular attention to the size of the filter and where you want to put it. It may/may not fit the back of your aquarium especially if you've got bracing along the length of your aquarium.
= You may have issues fitting a lid depending on your setup.
= If you don't top up your aquarium high enough, you may experience a water fall effect (e.g. loud splashing and may dig into your substrate).
= It pushes a lot of flow. But then again I tend to up-size my filter.
= I notice that I tend to get more evaporation than usual but nothing major.

Sign in to follow this