Sign in to follow this  
littlesnakeandcircle@hotma

New fish tank HELP WITH FILTER PLZ

Hello all :D

I just bought a 16L BluePlanet aquarium for my Shrimp as they were really stressed with my guppies, they love the new room they have, although it small. It came with a CX200 filter with no instructions. I have added a photo of the fish tank with the filter. 

Am i meant to fully submerge the filter? If I do submerge it the electrical cord gets slightly covered. Its been 24 hours (with 30+shrimp) and we lost 2 (i think because the move was so stressful for them, but slightly worried about the filter) The guy at pet stock said to submerge.

If i dont submerge it, the lid wont shut and it sounds like a chainsaw. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.1111111.thumb.jpg.47cdbbcba053080ff20df1c8d708e0d4.jpg

In a tank that size, and only shrimp, I wouldn't bother with a filter at all.

I have an 80L tank with only shrimp and killifish - no filter.  Just an airstone to keep the water oxygenated.  Probably a good idea to vacuum part (NOT ALL!) of the gravel each time you do a partial water change also.  (Which in my case is every 3 months or so - but YMMV.)   No idea how many shrimp I have in there - they breed like crazy.  Started with about 50, and I've given my brother in law 50 since then, and there's still plenty in the tank.

put it all in the water other wise u will burn the moter out and may cause a fire u would be better of with a air driven sponge filter for your shrimp as machanical filters have moters in them and will chew the shrimp up u will need a small air pump but your shrimp will thrive and breed and wont be killed by the filter just trying to help u not trying to be nasty or any thing cheers john

As @johnbetta said an air driven sponge would be my choice ,as a bonus the shrimo will feed on micro bits on the filter too,just remenber to get a check valve for the airline so if power goes off therez no chance of back syphoning water back to the air pump

Thank you everyone :D I have submerged both filters, and ordered a sponge filter online :D I also got a air pump to attach to it, so within a week they should have that set up :D 

I have noticed a few of my adult shrimp have died since being moved into this new tank, The ammonia is low, it was pretty high in the old tank due to too many fish, PH is 7.2. They have been in their new tank for 2 days and i can already see at least 10 shredded skins on the floor (theres around 15 shrimp) What could be causing this? 

I think your tank is cycling....,look up the nitrogen cycle,16 litres isnt much water so toxins can and will build up fast ,do a 50 percent water change and  that will  bring it under control temporarily....what is the levelz of your ammonia nitrates and nitrites that will tell you if the tank is cycling or not.......

Hi guys! just thought i'll let u know the motor/rotor system is supposed to be on the INSIDE at the BOTTOM of the filter case! and not on top as pictured! (the cord goes up the side of the inside filter, there's actually a small groove for it). so the water goes through the bottom and out the top like a waterfall. You do not need to submerge the whole thing!

I also made the same mistake as like the photo and the rotor sucked in my guppy and killed it. 

The instruction manual is very very poorly drawn.

Please be careful everyone!!

Hi All, i just figured it all out! Thanks for the advice that rotor should be inside. I’ll try to post some photos now for you all :)

CB158D32-5AA9-4D76-98EC-06862D7B0A06.jpeg

85FE43D8-9CE6-46E7-B55E-E0856B2B69BC.jpeg

198AD292-165F-4E00-84D9-BE5717F382F3.jpeg

426C3AD2-CA76-4523-A190-3E095B6363E4.jpeg

CD18A418-9ADC-4125-92C3-8DC2B90527E2.jpeg

Thank you!! You saved me.

My daughter bought this tank yesterday.

I had the motor sitting on top! Still feels weird with a 240V motor underwater but clearly that's what it's designed to do.