wadedidit

South American setup - Angelfish companions

Hi all,

I am looking at stocking my 6x2x2 with Angels and others.

Someone mentioned Apistogramma, maybe L Number Plecos.

Any ideas from the brains trust.

Stocking numbers?

Low maintenance is the key. 

Apistogramma are a small fish, but do well in a large tank.  You can get the full behaviour.  

One of my favourite setups was a four foot tank with A cacatoides in it.  2 M 4 F.  1 male was dominant and had three girls going and would go and visit each in turn.  The other M had one girl.  The behaviour was fascinating.  

General rule 1 square foot per female.  

Steve

severums are good and common bristle nose and peppermint bristle nose apistogrammas are good fish worth breeding u can all so do cockoo cichlids and rams what gingerbeer steve said is very great info steve knows his stuff cheers john

Thanks @gingerbeer and @johnbetta.

When you say one square foot, I am terrible with geometry (?) so in a 6x2x2 I could have 12 females? Not that I would, but am I on the right track?

Severums, will they be too big compared to Angels? Angels are the "centre piece".

Someone else mentioned Discus and Angels together, I just feel like Angels would be too aggressive for Discus. Thoughts?

On 07/11/2018 at 6:33 PM, wadedidit said:

Thanks @gingerbeer and @johnbetta.

When you say one square foot, I am terrible with geometry (?) so in a 6x2x2 I could have 12 females? Not that I would, but am I on the right track?

Severums, will they be too big compared to Angels? Angels are the "centre piece".

Someone else mentioned Discus and Angels together, I just feel like Angels would be too aggressive for Discus. Thoughts?

Exactly. 12 girls , say 3 boys.

On 09/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, wadedidit said:

How many Angels?

Tetras?

Angels - 4 to 6t.  Tetras go crazy.  REmember more of one species looks better than a mad mix.  

When I set a tank I think who is competing for the territory.  Angels and apistos have different spaces they want to claim.  Fish that want to claim the same space will clash.  

Make sure your apistos have a space (breeding caves) and the angels similar.  

So I have split the tank in two.

The right hand side is red gravel, which I will eventually plant out. 

The right will be river pebbles.

I have a border between the two areas which has so many caves and hiding holes.

The river pebbles will also have load of spots, to hide in.

So far, the four Apistogramma have been really active, no aggression amongst themselves at all.

The Rummynose tetra are my sons new favourite as they “pack” together...

Plan is to add more honing places for the Apistogramma, add pebbles which I’ll grab from a landscaping place somewhere.

The Bristlenose is doing its thing.

Looking forward to adding more fish next weekend, planting the red gravel area and seeing what it all looks like.

I think I have planned out the areas well, Angels up the top with the Tetras, Apistogramma down the bottom with the rocks and caves. Will eventually be planted and have a few spots to hide. I guess I need to think about the next type of tetra to add.

My tank is the same size, I have 10 discus, 6 angels, 4 peppermint bristlenose, 2 bettas (1M1F - there were more F but he didn't approve of them), and about 60 tetras.  Tank does not look full at all, but as the discus and angels mature, I think this is probably sufficient.  Might get 1 apistogramma pair, and might get a few more tetras.

Definitely agree with gingerbeer that a large group of tetras of the same species looks much better than a few of everything.  I've got 4 species, because I collected them from my other tanks, but longer term, as the flames and pristellas die off, I will be replacing with more of the 2 main species - rummynose and black neons.  Say 40 rummynose and 30 black neons will look cool.

47 minutes ago, MFF said:

My tank is the same size, I have 10 discus, 6 angels, 4 peppermint bristlenose, 2 bettas (1M1F - there were more F but he didn't approve of them), and about 60 tetras.  Tank does not look full at all, but as the discus and angels mature, I think this is probably sufficient.  Might get 1 apistogramma pair, and might get a few more tetras.

Definitely agree with gingerbeer that a large group of tetras of the same species looks much better than a few of everything.  I've got 4 species, because I collected them from my other tanks, but longer term, as the flames and pristellas die off, I will be replacing with more of the 2 main species - rummynose and black neons.  Say 40 rummynose and 30 black neons will look cool.

Cool, two species of tetra too many? I was thinking 40 Rummynose and 40 Serpea Red

No, I think two species is good.  I'll end up with rummynose and black neons.

With serpae though - they can be a bit nippy towards other fish.  With a large school, might be OK, but definitely something to watch.  You don't want them going after the apisto fins.

3 hours ago, MFF said:

No, I think two species is good.  I'll end up with rummynose and black neons.

With serpae though - they can be a bit nippy towards other fish.  With a large school, might be OK, but definitely something to watch.  You don't want them going after the apisto fins.

Cheers, didn’t know that!

Hi @wadedidit.  Agree 100% with @gingerbeer and @MFF tetras go crazy with numbers... in a 6x2x2 the more the better!  

I'm surprised nobody has asked what filtration you are running on your tank?   That would be the first question I'd ask when answering a question about stocking numbers.

I had a display tank 5x2x700high with a dozen discus, 30 rummy nose and about 60 cardinals (was hard to count exact numbers as I'd lost track of what I'd put in there).   

I'm also of the opinion that greater numbers look better than the same numbers with a mixture of tetras.

Best of luck with your tank and your next shopping trip :)

Cheers,
Jason

WOW!   Fantastic.

That's an easy question now....  keep buying as many as you like until your happy with stocking amounts.

Can't wait to see some more photos as you put more and more fish in there :)

Cheers,
Jason 

46 minutes ago, JB said:

WOW!   Fantastic.

That's an easy question now....  keep buying as many as you like until your happy with stocking amounts.

Can't wait to see some more photos as you put more and more fish in there :)

Cheers,
Jason 

Don’t tempt me Frodo. 

Bolivian rams work really well with angels too. I have 3 in my 4x2x2 with 3 angels and 6 serpae tetras and they all get along very well. The tetras generally keep out of the angels way and the bolivians hang about on the bottom of the tank to add some color and movement to that area. They are cool little fish.