Sign in to follow this  
Gavin1980

Native Combo

well I have a mangrove jack, tandanas and forktailed catfish living together.

Hey Mick, how big is your tank? Did you start with all of them from juveniles? What’s the size proportion between them?

I tried introducing a 24cm Murray Cod on the weekend and 24 hours later it was attacking the Tandanus and I had to split them up. Not sure if it was just never going to work, tank is too small, need more fish, or maybe a better setup or cave for the Cod to hide in and mind his own business.

I’m thinking the only way to keep the Tandanus and have a community tank is to only keep it with non aggressive fish. Trying to get some large Archers and a Bullrout to go in with it. Not sure if the Cod may work then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey I have a 6x2x2ft tank. I got the jack at 5cm, the tandanus at 10cm ant forktailed at 12cm. the jack is now 10cm and catfish 15cm to 20cm, they all work and I have some temporary African cichlids in there but it will eventually just be a native tank.

ive kept a heap of cod together I got from a hatchery and they were always attacking each other, I lost a few and ended up releasing them. I can see why he'd attack the tandanus. cod grow to fast anyway, I prefer my jack which stays smaller for longer. 

how big is your tank? I would suggest a bass, silver perch or barcoo grunter, big enough not to be eaten buy the catfish as they do eat fish.

My tank is 4x2x2. I thought the Silver Perch and Barcoo Grunter were aggressive?

What size would you recommend considering the size of the Tandanus?

I’m going to try to get some large Archers and a Bullrout if possible. Would be great to put something else with them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I would say cod are more aggressive. the tandanus can handle some aggression, one large African attacks mine when breeding but it doesn't bother him to much. 

you can pick up jade perch/barcoo grunter on gumtree usually from aquaponics setups, I see there's some 15cm ones in brissie or some bigger ones as well, they would do. 

picking up some larger archers or bullrout might be a bit harder.

I never had a problem with coal grunters but they were kept with africans. I have seen a video of a coal grunter and cod fighting but I think jade perch are less aggressive than coalies. I almost got some coal grunter to go with my jack and catfish but they weren't available.