Novice

Show us your ferals

I don't mind doing a bit of nocturnal dip netting.

I "dispatched" a pair of Pearl Cichlids last night from Twin bridges, Brisbane River near Fernvale.

Its my local, I only live just up the road. I'm used to seeing the tillys but these are the first Pearls I have managed to nail. I guess they were on a nest.

Cheers,

Dave.99689f7c0aca575c18efe77176025748.jpg76f449cc7eea11eabbc8dadb40e04955.jpg88ffc9a790058376308565caed6335df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sharknado said:

big man right here everyone look

using a net - check

bragging about killing fish - check

can't wait to hear the excuses for this appalling behaviour. 

Bomb has been planted -csgo

using a net - check
I'm a big fan of native Australian fish. Cichlids have no place in Australian rivers.

I was probably naive to post up the dead picture. I apologise if that offended you.

Fisheries put out a bulletin a few years ago mentioning that they had been detected in Somerset, this pair is the first i have come across in my neck of the woods. Sad that they are so pretty, but they do require the Tilapia treatment.

I'm with you Novice. While it's a crying shame to see such beautiful fish netted and killed they are an invasive species who have no place in our waterways and it would be very wrong to release them. The real bad guy in this story is the clown that released them or their ancestors in the first place.

I'm from country NSW and our rivers are choked with european carp and redfin. At least redfin are good eating, carp are just a bank eroding menace. If it wasn't for the state fisheries and other groups regularly releasing fingerlings from hatcheries in the waterways the native cod and perch species would probably be long gone.

On 25/11/2018 at 12:29 AM, sharknado said:

using a net - check

They are ferals they are damaging to our natives  they need to be removed - 2 fish is barely a start .

Your ignorance is no less appalling than the fish being killed  , If they go into somebody's tank either them or they're offspring could wind up back in our waterways .

They have not as yet been declared noxious , but I believe they will in the not too distant future . Then it will be mandatory to kill them immediately on capture .

Shame to kill such nice fish but it needs to be done .

Not good that there’s so many getting about won’t be to far in the future that there won’t be anything native left with so many irresponsible/couldn’t give a damn about anything people sad that my kids are growing up thinking freaks are normal fish

@sharknado who really cares if they killed them, probably better than taking them home and putting them in a tank and bringing a disease in and wiping out who knows how many fish

theyre not natives so they have no place in our waterways

cos thats exactly what we wanna do ..shout someone down cos they are getting rid of ferals in the creek,,,are you kidding its shit like that that will stop people culling carp,mosquito fish,talapia  and even theold sword tails and guppies that are everywhere...pull ylur head out of your rear end , theyre doing our natives a favour and maybe they dont have somewhere to put them

thats it rake a couple of kids over the coals for it...hope it makes u feel like a big man

pearl cichlids have an established population in the wild  and that only means 1 thing for our natives....they gotta fight harder to survive

i suppose that you would rather see the kids in front of the playstation instad of being outside 

anything that hinders the onslaught of feral fish on our native population is bloody alright by me

these kids need praise not ridicule..

14 hours ago, QldMick said:
https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/contact
maybe letting fisheries know their catch locations and details would be a good way to go.

I'm sure they already know.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-170306.html

That's dated November 2010. Looks like they originated from a farm dam near woodford.

I'm bewildered that I haven't noticed them before this summer.

Edited by Novice
Spelling