Sign in to follow this  
Gavin1980

Feeding Bullrout

So I’ve got a very nice Bullrout around 13cm that I’m trying to get onto dry/frozen food. I have had him for almost a month and haven’t seen him eat anything. He’s in a tank with a Bass and a greedy Tandanus. They get fed dry food in the mornings which consist of Hikari Massivore Delight and Spectrum Cichlid mix. At night I alternate between frozen Hikari Krill and Ocean Nutrition Lance Fish. I’ve started feeding them the frozen food without the lights on in complete darkness before bedtime as someone recommended it will help in the process. I’ve been told to be patient as it will take some time of starving to get the Bullrout onto dry/frozen foods. He seems healthy and active as he swims in the current of the filter from time to time. I have no idea if he is going for the frozen food but will try feeding with the lights on to find out.

Has anyone had success in doing this?

Is there anything else I can do to get him onto these foods?

I don’t want to be stuck feeding live foods on a regular basis unless I really have to. As it is I haven’t fed him any live food since I got him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably not much help but my uncle used to feed his garden worms.

heres a page on bullrout breeding I just found

http://www.aquablueseafoods.com.au/other-bullrouts.shtml

I’m in the process of getting a composite bin setup up for two purposes, one which of course is to feed worms to my fish. I’ll check out the link. Any info on these guys is much appreciated. Thanks Mick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yo, i got my bullrout onto frozen foods arround that size by using some cotton string and a peeled river prawn. Just very gently twitch the prawn along the bottom like your fishing, i had better luck when other fish showed interest. But once it took the first one he was eating anything i dropped in within a week.

No pellets yet but...  :(

P.S try to be patiant they spook easy untill they start to recognise you as the "Bringer of Food" haha.