Christie

Help needed - think my fish may be sick

Hi there hoping someone can help as our local aquarium is closed the next 2 days.

i just noticed a large lump inside the belly of one of our comets. Can be seen both sides, may even be more than one. I’m pretty attentive and have only just noticed this so assume it’s appeared very quickly. He/she swims about a bit but mostly just hangs mid tank near the same plant.

is it possible these are eggs? A tumour? I checked water parameters and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0, PH is high but it’s always high (I plan on getting an RO soon to try and fix this) and the tank is big (4 foot x 2 x 2) with 5 comets 1 - 1.5 inch and 5 small Platys.

appreciate any advice.

thanks,

christie 

Hard to tell in those pics,

But your test results are strange to be honest,

"I checked water parameters and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0,"

You will basically always have some nitrate showing, it is the byproduct of your biological filtering and only really gets removed by water changes , so my first question is 

How did you test ? what test kit are you using ? can you please perform the tests again and post the results 

i remember i had something similar many years ago with Koi when i was learning ( and i do mean many years ago) and my nitrates where through the roof and caused infection which lifted scales but early on it looked like a lump before i could see the scales lifting, point being please test again., particularly the Nitrate test