Sign in to follow this  
drewcastle

Native recommendations?

Hey all!

Ive recently just acquired a Aqua one 620t which is a 2ft long by 2ft high tank.

Was just after some recommendations of what natives to stock in there that will last a while before having to upgrade tanks?

My LFS has aussie bass fingerlings about 1.5cm long and yellowfin bream around 3cm long. I’m well aware the size these fish reach but I’ve read online they both have quite slow growth rates. So would this tank last those fish at those sizes at least 18 months? By which time I will be getting a bigger tank.

if not what other carnivorous natives can I stick in such a small tank that I can still feed feeder fish and shrimp too and have the personality that some of the lager natives do?

Thanks for any advice or input, it’s greatly appreciated, Drew :)

8AB4F727-25A0-4768-9786-C0AE0C5F4497.jpeg

1 hour ago, snorock said:

I vote purple spot...that way you can have a bottem dweller and a mid water bass when you get bigger tank. Plus they have wicked personality.

Awesome thanks mate! What’s what I’m after a smaller fish for this tank with a big personality. I’ll look into them :)

do a search on them . Leiopotherapon unicolour.

do not grow that fast and only grow to 25cm , fairly aggressive though do not keep them with cichlids .

in a small tank like you intend starting with , 6 fingerlings but in 6 to 8 months they will be 120mm long and starting to get agro . at which time you will need to decide if yo just want to keep 1 or upgrade to a bigger tank ,

the Morgunda ( purple spot gudgeon ) would probably be the easier path  but it is another option .

Could go archer fish, fill tank 3/4 to the top and do a couple of branches sticking out. Its fun to watch them do their thing...im a sucker for dramatic meal time theater. 

if you plan to upgrade go with what you like, I would avoid the biggest like barra and cod but its your choice. I caught a bullrout (along with a flathead and eel) in my shrimp trap today but a poisonous fish that doesn't do much isn't for me. I have a 6x2x2 native tank that is my favorite tank. keep us updated with what you stock.

cheers mick

15 hours ago, QldMick said:

if you plan to upgrade go with what you like, I would avoid the biggest like barra and cod but its your choice. I caught a bullrout (along with a flathead and eel) in my shrimp trap today but a poisonous fish that doesn't do much isn't for me. I have a 6x2x2 native tank that is my favorite tank. keep us updated with what you stock.

cheers mick

Yeah I do plan on something that grows large like a bass or some sort of grunter or perch but was chasing something with the slowest growth rate so I can utilise this tank for as long as I possibly can sort of thing. I’ll be able to uprgrade to a 4ft in about 18 months or so. I was originally told bass are quite slow growing in aquariums?

i was also after something I could permanently house in a 4x2x2

i did think of mouth almighty but have read that the don’t transport well and are quite hard to come across

if I was stocking a 4ft(or future 4ft) today I would go with 3 spanged perch, 2 archer fish and a golden eel-tailed catfish. you'll have to see what you can order in at your lfs. why doesn't everybody add what they'll stock a 4ft native tank with.