Sign in to follow this  
snorock

Eheim classic 350 vs aqua one nautilus 1100 canister filiters

Hey fish folks, looking at getting a new canister filter for my 4x1.5x1.5 planted tank. Ive got a new baby on the way so the less worry and maintenance the better...thanks guys.

I've had the Eheim Classic 600 (2217) for over 10 years and have never had to replace one part. They are a simple design, very reliable and filter very efficiently. Hence why I have just purchased a Eheim 1500XL (2260) as an upgrade for the new larger tank. Yes they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for and it is an investment if you're a serious aquarium keeper. I highly recommend the Eheim.

Is there an advantage to having to separate trays with the aqua one vs the loose medium in the eheim...i though it might make cleaning a bit easier having the separation between the sponges and bio media.

2 hours ago, snorock said:

Is there an advantage to having to separate trays with the aqua one vs the loose medium in the eheim...i though it might make cleaning a bit easier having the separation between the sponges and bio media.

You can change the media in the aqua one or add things like carbon 

The Eheim design has the intake at the very bottom, and with the media filling all the way out to the side of the canister, it ensures absolutely no possible bypass of water, which can happen using baskets in the Aqua One when media gets clogged. By the way, my Eheim 2217 came with media bags so cleaning is no harder than other filters using baskets. If for some reason it didn’t come with it you can by media bags or get onion bags which is what my bags look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can change the media in the aqua one or add things like carbon 

You can do this in the Eheim as well.

If you can afford Eheim get it, otherwise go with Aqua One. Have you also considered Fluval? I’d still go the Eheim over Fluval but thought I’d throw another good brand in the mix.

I do have an early Aqua One canister with baskets. It still worked the last time I used it. It was the biggest canister they made at the time and similar size to the Eheim 2217 which I bought to replace it. So I know the difference between using both.

Just remember that the ideal turn over (flow rate L/hour) of your filter should be 5 times the water volume of your tank. For example, a 400L tank should have a filter with a flow rate of at least 2000L per hour. On top of that with a canister filter you lose flow due to static head so your flow rate should be more than that, say 2400L per an hour or greater. The head loss can be calculated and there’s also graphs available sometimes for pumps, flow rate vs head height.

Sign in to follow this