Sign in to follow this  
MFF

Electric Yellow offspring types

Question for all you Electric Yellow breeders -

I've got a few really nice EYs, solid yellow with nice black fins.  They've had a couple of batches of fry, and most of the fry seem to breed true, but some seem to have vertical bars, or different colours - pale, whitish or even blue-ish.  There are no other fish in the tank that can cross-breed with them, so I'm 100% confident these are "pure" EY offspring ("pure" from my EY, not any other fish in my tank), not cross breeds.  The fry are 2-3 cms now.

Will they grow out of this - i.e. become the standard solid yellow as they age?

Is this normal?  Are these recessive colour variants perhaps?  Or are the parents not as "pure" as they might be?

Thoughts?

you could check out this thread. 

I got some of dougs that he breed and selected for years crossed with some new blood. their were some plain fish but I was allowed to select those I wanted. I ended up with some great fish, some light lemon yellow and some more bright sunshine yellow. 

I think overall their genetics can vary a bit, but unless you have a white or blue morph you should select towards the bright yellow/black fins type.

Thanks mate.

Yes I had seen that thread.  I suppose my question really is, given that in my tank there is no chance of cross breeding - but the parents or the ancestors MAY have cross bred - is it common to get these sorts of colour variations.

Mine are a bit small yet, and probably 3/4 are the standard yellow with black fins, but there are a couple there that look like they might grow up to be interesting colours.  Which I will keep for myself, and move the more standard ones on.

Cheers,

Michael

Sign in to follow this