Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Ontknoping

The Billabong Year(s) in Review – 2016 to 2018

“Dedicated to @Pepperbris  and the Billabong GPGs”

Welcome to Grover’s second “Year-in-Review”. This post in “Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Ontknoping” gives the ‘Wiki-whatever’ short version to save you from having to read 3 years’ worth of 850 posts over 2 different threads!

Mind you, there are a whole bucket-load of previous posts for “Giant Pink Gouramis” to be read if you’re interested. The GPG posts have been going since September 2012, so if you want to catch up by reading 1,537 posts over 3 threads to cover 2012 to 2015 try these:

www.qldaf.com/topic/68504-giant-pink-gourami-baby-updates/

www.qldaf.com/topic/99658-giant-pink-gourami-breeding-venture/

www.qldaf.com/topic/107014-giant-pink-gourami-the-billabong-adventures/

2016 (mostly):

As a bonus, the “Jolly Swagman” thread post starts with the first GPG “Year-in-Review”. Grover then travels to the Philippines for work and visits ‘Las Farolas’, experiences Typhoon Koppu, and keeps a blue fighting fish, “Aussie”, in his hotel room. Later, back at the Billabong, repairs are made to the shade sail, and attempts are made to catch the giant Plecostomus. The GPGs start nesting – by building balls of plant material in the papyrus plants, but sadly no egg laying occurs. Plumbing plays a major role with the investigation of bell siphons & Cetus sieves; and another attempt is made at a Winter cover made from electrical conduit. Because this is Oz, the name of the post commemorates Banjo Paterson’s “Waltzing Matilda” -

www.qldaf.com/topic/116965-giant-pink-gourami-the-jolly-swagman-and-co/

2017 – 2018 (basically):

These two years fly past with several gaps in the official record. The conduit-built skeleton for the pool cover is abandoned in favour of EPC pallet covers. These are strung on a center rope with the blue pool cover draped over. This works a treat! A giant spray bar is installed to agitate the water for aeration purposes. Not absolutely necessary, as the GPGs are air-breathers – they gulp the air at the water's surface, which passes through the mouth into an extra respiratory organ that carries oxygen through a labyrinth into the gourami's bloodstream. The floating plant islands finally reach maturity, and promptly fall over – providing a decent food-fest for the GPGs and saving me from having to feed them. Last year ends with a trip to South Africa where Grover tries valiantly to find aquarium fish, but only succeeds in spotting one lonely freshwater crab at Doreen Falls, high in the Drakensberg escarpment, KwaZulu-Natal.

www.qldaf.com/topic/121830-giant-pink-gourami-billabong-bayou/

2019:

Billabong Ontknoping?

Australian & Afrikaans:  The final part of a narrative about the Billabong in which the strands of the plot are drawn together and matters are explained, resolved, or finalised.

Why the title?

Because you are now following the final chapters of the “Billabong” and of Grover.

Best Regards,

Grover

(I forgot to add that The Billabong is now on Instagram & Facebook  which both link back to here for the full update) (And, don't expect that you'll ever see the Billabong on Twitter ha!)

https://www.instagram.com/giantpinkgourami/

Only 4 followers so far, so get in early   :-)

https://www.facebook.com/grover65k

FB with 10 friends... Oh well... I've succumbed to social media persuasion   :-(

20190216_Billabong.thumb.jpg.5a5e3d1fd261c071f555cdc616c252fe.jpg

Edited by Grover65k
Billabong photo added & social media :-/

The personal note…

Hello @Heintz.G ,

I understand that you might be concerned, but for me it is a change of outlook on life. When you discover that the person you loved does not see a future for the two of you then you re-assess everything in your life. Already the changes are underway – these include a withdrawal from social life, renouncing church attendance, and the ongoing removal of un-necessary “things”.

Unfortunately, the GPGs are also in the firing line, albeit within a 5-year time-frame. So, fear not, the Billabong stories will continue for a little while yet. As recompense for some wonderful online supporters, I have broadened the reach of the Billabong from QLDAF to include Instagram and Facebook (much as I might detest the business morality of these platforms).

Thank you to all my family and friends for their support over the Christmas & New Year period just past.

Grover

Wheretonow.thumb.jpg.29426b1cd1d8321cf275ef7afd10a48f.jpg

Goldie Removal - part 2

Many thanx to @crusty76 for his visit with his family today!

The Billabong has fewer goldies than yesterday - Hooray!

Here's the live action shots (as also seen 5 min ago on Instagram & FB).

Insta-fish         Face-fish

Success.thumb.jpg.385c0fa1265a9825a89e85cf540f61f1.jpg

On QLDAF you get the longer story than the Insta's and FBers.

Crusty arrived this morning with the full kit, and a 9ft circular throw net (weighted with sinkers around the circumference). Grover's role was to entice the goldies with splashing and food, then stand back. Crusty's first mumbled comments as he was about to throw?    "Hope I don't catch a gourami"... (famous first words...)

259187572_WhatGourami.thumb.jpg.78b19348bc3a9ddef0d1f5aaa4b406c9.jpg

Once Nelson was out of the net, we discovered about 20 decent sized goldies had stuck around in the net. Well done!!

Poolphopto.thumb.jpg.065d98af1162a8beb7bbf8ff4e203fe9.jpg

Grover now has a chance to practice his 'casting' technique on the lawn first, then on the goldies. So, drop me a PM if you'd like some, and it looks like I might just be abke to deliver now.

Cheers,

Grover

(The Dog did help, by mostly getting underfoot just as the net was being thrown!)

https://www.instagram.com/giantpinkgourami/

Wow! I have 5 followers now! You can still get in early   :-)

Edited by Grover65k
Inst-fish update !

4 hours ago, QldMick said:

some good sized ones there, how many you think you have in the pool?

How Many Goldfish in the Billabong?

Not really sure Mick!

About this many...

Goldfish.thumb.jpg.a7889a9cea720809dd9b0b748530d2b0.jpg

Or if you want to count them in the video... 

GPG UW Billabong21

Cheers,

Grover

(Ha! The Insta-fish hordes are flocking to Instagram - I have 6 followers!  Does that make me an "Influencer" yet??)

Edited by Grover65k
Insta-fish update = 6

Rescuing the Elephant Ears

This morning I found that the Elephant Ears had been well and truly munched by the GPGs.

Elephantears.thumb.jpg.6d92de661301b5fe6204c876b761d916.jpg

So, I've hooked the island up to the side of the pool to stop it lying on its side. This should let the plants recover and grow new leaves.

Grover

(I really need to throw more lettuce leaves in the Billabong)

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, Grover65k said:

How Many Goldfish in the Billabong?

Not really sure Mick!

About this many...

Goldfish.thumb.jpg.a7889a9cea720809dd9b0b748530d2b0.jpg

Or if you want to count them in the video... 

GPG UW Billabong21

Cheers,

Grover

(Ha! The Insta-fish hordes are flocking to Instagram - I have 6 followers!  Does that make me an "Influencer" yet??)

more than I thought!

I would grab some if I had a big enough pond for them. 

they wouldn't be cheap at your lfs, heres someone charging $30 each for 18cm comets. https://www.windsorfishhatchery.com.au/goldfish-comet-red-longtails-18cm-red2-price-is-one-fish/ .

Cetus Sieve Update...

Well?  

The good news is I'm still keen to get to the pumbing exercise.   :razz:

The bad news is you're going to have to wait for while.   :roll:

As this is new technology (along with the BBF- Bog Bed Filter), I 've decided to wait for Winter. The cover will go on (for warmth) and the bioload of algae drops off remarkably. So my guess is that this would be the best time to rebuild the Billabong filter system. 

Cetus03.thumb.jpg.97c820386dd37520aead10efb8798a28.jpg

Also, in reference to the personal note above, I'm somewhat busy dismantling my life. The nieces and nephews along with Daughter #1, have scored quite a collection of artwork and family history, and I'm just getting started. In the aquarium front, Crusty has scored a variety of equipment as well as the goldfish. And as soon as I master net-casting, there will be more goldies up for free give-away - stay tuned.  You are warned that I have a range of things planned to implement the new concept of "1 Life / 5 Years", so apologies in advance if I tend to mix some of this with the GPG updates. Truth be told, you are not going to get one without the other.

I will endeavour to stay on the fishy-straight-and-narrow, so just feed me out a bit more fishing line along the way.

Bonus artwork tonight is one of my Mum's art drawings from the family history files.

Cheers,

Grover

(you've been where I am, and you know what it's like)

Page200a.thumb.jpg.e0b0949832cadecd7f5b97fec4875088.jpg

Winter Preparation...

This week is another exciting (?!) trip to Sydney for work, so I'm leaving the GPGs in the capable hands of a new house-mate. She's been trained in the tricky art of de-frosting peas & beans, as well as tearing lettuce heads apart with her bare hands. I'm confident the fish will survive; just hope the Dog likes her at feeding time. 

Seeing as how my time with the Billabong is going to be somewhat curtailed by work trips and a trip to down-town Gunnedah, I thought it best to get motivated this week with the Billabong cover. Otherwise, nothing will happen until May - and by then the poor GPGs will be swimming in 10degC water - not a good look.

Here's the action photos...

Pond01.thumb.jpg.67a0287f9c7fa4ca05d00de18150aadf.jpg

Getting the poly pallets out of the roof of the carport, and stringing the ropes...

Pond02.thumb.jpg.213747c301ca162da2c80c01aeb8de25.jpg

Poly pallets in, and wrestling with the blue cover...

Pond03.thumb.jpg.13ea983c776dd9e725a9a2f4d41bef76.jpg

Final result: the poly pallets sitting on the ropes provide breathable air-pockets for the gouramis.

The blue cover holds the heat in and keeps the water temperature up as the outside temp drops.

Pond04.thumb.jpg.425fd39884c528fb5a70f8a5f77e9786.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

(PS: the Dinosaur skeleton is still for sale - Grover is open to offers !)

Dry Goods: Garden Frame / Pool Cover / Dinosaur Skeleton

Winter Prep... (Take #2)

There was something slightly wrong with the last photo above...

It came to me this morning that the cover was un-naturally flat.

In my hurry to get everything done on the weekend - I had forgotten these - 

Pond05.thumb.jpg.90c903b662d14e813e5a554bc748f123.jpg

I had forgotten to tuck these under the ropes in the center of the Billabong to hold the poly pallets further out of the water and give the GPGs a lot more breathing space.

So...

Pond06.thumb.jpg.c1cfdc86021034aef8285ba424fb1b08.jpg

With the final result mid-morning today looking much better!

Pond07.thumb.jpg.1f9a034e709ee33a7bc8d26747846633.jpg

Grover

(Anybody have any spare marbles for Grover who is losing his?)

On 12/04/2019 at 2:41 PM, billfish said:

grover,if you keep roaming the country the poor gpgs will think youve found another fish

Ha!

In Synney again this week! Maybe I can hang a Giant gourami around my neck and fly home tomorrow night. Wont be  a fully red arowana with certificate

11001696-3x2-large.jpg.738d306d8c91a25460acb2a8107780b4.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

Another week, another trip

This time to Melb - cold, wet. and raining but I did find a new aquarium store at Keysborough, Melb.  Walked in and the front was full of goldfish: some lovely black & gold Ranchus. Then thru doors to the back area of tropicals.... whew 30deg temp. Absolutely Great. Good selection of Africans and the usual tropicals.  No giant gouramis tho. :- ((

Left the GPGs in care of the housemate  - all OK so far.

Grover

IMG_20190509_194647_063.thumb.jpg.0241c565708d7b9541054049b13dca2e.jpg

PS: Doesn't look much from the outside, but impressed as really well-run on the inside.

Edited by Grover65k
Update (now that I'm back in BrisVegas)

3 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Ha!

In Synney again this week! Maybe I can hang a Giant gourami around my neck and fly home tomorrow night. Wont be  a fully red arowana with certificate

11001696-3x2-large.jpg.738d306d8c91a25460acb2a8107780b4.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

was that one siezed or are they allowed in ?

1 hour ago, billfish said:

was that one siezed or are they allowed in ?

Not sure what they did with it. Would be a waste to spike it, but with our strict quarantine.... 

ABC News on 14-Apr-2019

Ah bugger, it was humanely euthanised

Spotted this tooo

The man was then arrested and is expected to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on May 15.

so let's see if he makes the news reports next Wednesday 15 in Adelaide

Court list for Monday 13-Apr (dunno if he would be criminal or civil - criminal you think?)

List

14 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Not sure what they did with it. Would be a waste to spike it, but with our strict quarantine.... 

ABC News on 14-Apr-2019

Ah bugger, it was humanely euthanised

Spotted this tooo

The man was then arrested and is expected to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on May 15.

so let's see if he makes the news reports next Wednesday 15 in Adelaide

Court list for Monday 13-Apr (dunno if he would be criminal or civil - criminal you think?)

List

pretty sure it would be criminal,especially considering its a breach of our quarantine laws