Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Ontknoping

22 hours ago, Grubs said:

I wonder if the GPG's would be more interested in sexytime if there wasn't 10,000,000 goldfish in their bedroom?

Hi @Grubs,

My thought as well...

I've been fishing them out and carting them off to Aquarama at Stafford.  But, I think they breed faster than I can catch them :bolt:

Grover

Hi @hamishh34

Your 2 cents is very welcome :)

It's funny, but where and when Grover started this whole exercise probably had the best chance of breeding (except he didn't know that at the time!). Only 3 GPGs and a few Oscars, which would have been easy to catch and remove, with an eminently controllable environment.

2009-DSC00667-tiny.jpg.dc8ea2afb59ae2983f9290215ad84b7e.jpg

Grover had bright ideas too big for his fishing boots!

He bought a swimming pool (and the real estate agent threw in a house as well!).

And the Giant Pink Gouramis just kept arriving, causing the food bill to keep mounting (Iceberg Lettuce at $5.50 each and Grover buys x8 at a time. Eeeerk!)

:faint:

Sorry, back to Hamish H. 

Your idea of milk crates is good!  When Masters Hardware was closing up I bought v.large wicker/cane baskets - I expect I can find milk crates somewhat cheaper - just don't tell Pauls Limited where they are.   Simulating the water level drop in the Dry season has its difficulties with the ex-swimming pool.  Too far a drop means the swimming pool pump is going to run dry. 

So the best approach all round?  Yes, grab these soft silicone landing nets...

Nets.thumb.jpg.cdb6775ba08577d70023831bd8e325e0.jpg

(of which Grover has two of the largest size for obvious reasons) and snaffle a male and 2 female GPGs out of the Billabong.

Now...

Where to put them?

inside.thumb.jpg.0e8829c802ad12e2b3b50284cab13fa7.jpg

That's a fabulous idea - except for the fact that Grover lives in a post-war 1950s weatherboard home.

Grover figures it's best to eschew any idea of an elegant koi pool, and go with the weedy, grass-lined, muddy pond located somewhere to the north of Cairns.

Fitzalan.jpg.8ac4913c9f8bc83e6beab7e10060ed1b.jpg

This is still a bit too posh for the GPGs (Cairns Botanic Gardens).

What about...

outside.thumb.jpg.ac493b365a2c1a97735add3ce57b1261.jpg

That's more like it!

:ewink:

Maybe Grover will just sit on the edge of the Billabong, let the goldfish nibble his toes, and watch the GPGs cruise past like giant underwater pink ballistic nuclear submarines.

And keep updating QLDAF for a few more years... :pop2:

Cheers,

Grover

Mid-week Update...

The island of Elephant Ears has fallen over again.

This gives the GPGs a chance to munch on fresh leaves and stalks.  Also, it now provides cover for the caneware baskets Grover had placed in the shallow end to encourage the GPGs to "do something"!

Elephants.thumb.jpg.c0a1ed14360679107f3f6fb7599a398d.jpg

Grover

(Will Winter Weather eVVer Waft aWay?)

Lockdown Blues...

While it was quite easy sitting in the sun this morning, Grover really wanted to fling across the border into Northern NSW to see Summerland Aquarium.  But Uncle Steven and Auntie Anna have sternly forbidden aquarium jaunts as "un-necessary".  Oh well, just have to keep looking at their web page...

SummerLand Aquarium

Summerland.thumb.jpg.efb6f7cf041a9eada4ee3651a8bab6a5.jpg

Meanwhile back at the Bog Bed Filter, Grover has had to dig out some of the water iris plants.  They are now huge.

BEFORE (before growing enormously over the last few months)

BBF-03-010.thumb.jpg.7df5c1b0f13a186d79578e6d68ce6644.jpg

AFTER (after a bit of a trim around the right-hand drain which runs back to the Billabong)

BBF-04-010.thumb.jpg.02f37ee430fbc281631d454be0fd40f6.jpg

And that's a monster Edible Pandan in the middle producing pups quite happily.

Those are cherry tomatoes straggling across the front - when they're ripe they go straight back in to feed the GPGs.

About the only real work Grover has done this weekend is to clean the Big Blue Barrels which had been left for almost two months as the Billabong looked crystal-clear.  Here are the barrels spiffy-clean and ready to run for at least a month of lockdown if required!

BBB-01-010.thumb.jpg.cec3ab588f4a7d9e2765d2eb7072a62e.jpg

Grover

(WFH: Working From Home  /  WH: Working Hard  /  HW: Hardly Working)

PS: and don't forget "W.A.B." - when it all gets too much keyboard work - go for some "Work Avoidance Behaviour".

Edited by Grover65k
Don't forget to "WAB" occasionally...

On 19/07/2021 at 8:52 PM, Grover65k said:

Hi @Grubs,

My thought as well...

I've been fishing them out and carting them off to Aquarama at Stafford.  But, I think they breed faster than I can catch them :bolt:

Grover

I had been wondering where all those lovely massive goldies where coming from! 

On 03/08/2021 at 4:38 PM, charlotte007 said:

I had been wondering where all those lovely massive goldies where coming from! 

Well...

If it wasn't for this weeks lockdown, Grover would have sent another dozen or so to Aquarama.

Once Spring rolls around check back again for free garden-pond goldfish.

Grover has thought of finding an RTC to do goldfish removal, but then how do RTCs and GPGs get on with each other?

Grover

(The Giant Pink Gouramis just get bigger every day)

rtc s get bloody big too remember....they will probably destroy anything that the gpg wanna make 

you could always get one of these and just attatch it to a pole

Screenshot_20210805-155205_eBay.jpg

Thanx @billfish

You are right! 

It was just a moment of insanity to think an apex predator would solve my goldfish problem!

Grover will spend the $16 odd (maybe even buy two), and in Spring start a free goldfish give-away.  He'll wait til Spring as everyone's pond water is under 10degC and the Billabong is still running at 22degC - don't want the poor little (huge) goldies dying of temperature shock.

And speaking of give-aways...

with the EKKA a non-event this year, here's some memories from QLDAF...

EKKA.thumb.jpg.60789ddcf842a1dc7d67504d173fb5dd.jpgJPE.thumb.jpg.eb05a7037cdb03b3658d23a8e9668dcc.jpg

Maybe Grover should put a tent out on the front footpath - "Aussie & South Seas Pearl Show" - and give away goldfish !

Cheers,

Grover

EKKA Memories...

The McLaughlins have been involved with
the Ekka since 1962, when they used to

come and help friends with their showbag
stands. They opened the now iconic Japanese
Pearl Exhibition in 1964; an attraction that
became an instant hit with Ekka visitors due
to its kimono-clad attendants – at that time a
novelty in Brisbane. “We also had the Lucky
Pearl Dip,” said Elaine. “Japanese pearl oysters
were imported unopened, and it was a thrill
to see the oysters opened and the pearl taken
out.”
The catch-your-own goldfish display was
another popular exhibit that saw nearly
700,000 happy visitors leave the Ekka with
an addition to their family between 1964 and
2000. “Children waited all year for the chance
to catch a goldfish,” Elaine said.

(copyright the RNA ShowBiz Magazine, 2007)

2 hours ago, johnbetta said:

as all ways looking amazing love your post on this topic

Hi @johnbetta

Thanx very much for your support!  I always admire how you respond and welcome the new members in QLDAF.  We were all at that same beginning stage once.  You do a great job of encouraging them to be a contributing part of QLDAF.

To my shame I remember being asked to feed a neighbours aquarium room (I was about age 8 ) and I didn't know what I was doing.  He had a tank-full of baby Corydorys and I overfed them and killed the lot! :esad:

Hopefully, I think I've improved since then.  And even I need encouragement every now and then :pop2:  to keep providing popcorn entertainment.  Who'd have thought people would follow the ups and downs and sideways swings of a bunch of giant gouramis living in a suburban ex-swimming pool?

Anyway, back to the GPGs this weekend  :focus:

Grover

IMG_1850.thumb.JPG.a7602601d3ee16df3ac28fcbb40f15ac.JPG   (By Gum! These are the biggest Datnoids Grover has ever seen!)

I am sure there are a few predators like barra/cod that would happily help solve your goldfish problem. I cant imagine them being too much of a pain for your GPGs either. Or just get your hands on a few large file snakes.. Although that would be a far harder task than finding GPGs

3 hours ago, johnbetta said:

wicked looks amazing do u sell some of your goldies if u do i would be really intrested in some once lockdown is over if u want to pm me cheers john

Hi @johnbetta,

Keep an eye on these GPG posts - when the weather warms up enough Grover will catch a variety of goldies and have them in an 8ft pool to make it easier to "Catch & Go".

There are some quite pretty ones - full orange with a white face, some shubunkin colours, and then an assortment of short and long-tail ones.

And Grover needs to buy one of these first -

Net.thumb.jpg.9a765e41baec899046247570c038a36c.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

Wow... Weekend What Was...

It started with the usual.

Cleaning the Sludge Filter (the Cetus Sieve) !

It does a great job, but it's up against a Billabong-full of Giant Gouramis and a gazillion goldfish.  Things are going to get mucky!

Sat-01.thumb.jpg.752e4391f094f2b72e28db8a5af7fd63.jpg

Moving on to the checking the Bog Bed Filter - tick :dance:

Sat-02.thumb.jpg.65829da3e635c00411e1f3a46062bd22.jpg

The Giant Amazon Swords are multiplying, and the Water Hyssops (Bacopa amplexicaulis) are creeping everywhere.

Sadly, the tropical waterlily (Nymphaea colorata) has been overwhelmed by the iris and pandans. Grover can't even find any remains :yield:

Then lastly, fish food shopping    :ph34r: Mask on, and off to Woolies.

Sat-03.thumb.jpg.65a94c01ae8035daa9b0b856dfe11342.jpg

Honest! It was essential shopping - you don't want the GPGs to starve do you??

Cheers,

Grover

Weekend Update...

Yes, there's been a slight delay in updates over the past week or so.  But Grover does have a reason!

#1 Daughter was married on Saturday, and "Father of Bride" was roped in to provide the wedding car and a speech at the reception.  The day went well, and the happy couple tootled off on a Covid-19-free tour of Queensland in their 4WD.

Back at the Billabong, the housemate was in charge...

Firstly, the GPGs are all alive, happy, and well-fed  (tick).

WEEK-1.thumb.jpg.c77846bdb995830d64fee1d0b57fdb7a.jpg

Secondly, the Elephant Ear island has recovered and grown remarkably well and is probably about to tip over again sometime soon (tick).

WEEK-3.thumb.jpg.d239853e6733b602e21afe641857c31c.jpg

Lastly, the Sludge Filter (aka the Cetus Sieve) scored a gruesome victim (cross).

WEEK-2.thumb.jpg.e49d3099e7453eb006bb823499e0981a.jpg

Oh, well...    as they say "2 outta 3 ain't bad".

Cheers,

Grover

(The weather is warming, and it won't be long until the blue cover comes off)