Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Ontknoping

1 hour ago, Grover65k said:

In view of the current run on foodstuffs in the supermarket, I trust that no one will suggest eating the GPGs   :evil:

Not even if ScoMo declares that we all start eating home-grown goodies!!

Scomo probably imports his home grown food from europe,,, the gpgs will be fine 

did the plecos breed in the billabong?

Hi @Pepperbris

Long time, no see !

Great island idea :-)  looks like a sheet of wall insulation or a cold-room wall with holes drilled in it.

I do admit that the GPG islands are starting to look a little battered - having been turned-turtle a number of times by the Elephant Ears graowing too large and capsizing the whole thing.

The islands will have to wait in line (with appropriate "social distancing") as I have a burst of enthusiasm for another project... see below :jaw:

BBF Re-Run!

(or "The Bog Bed Filter finally gets put together")

OK cobbers, it's been a few years waiting but Grover is finally getting his act together in the filtering department.

I've decided that this stay-at-home exercise is the time to move on re-building the Billabong filtration area. You saw the tank and stand go in (yes, a year or more ago), and have been patiently waiting for something (anything!) to actually happen. Now it is !

BBF-03.thumb.jpg.77335c4e07c3551245bd207410867ff7.jpg

The tank was cleaned of bird poo, leaves, and algae growth. The geo-tex matting stuff has been laid on the bottom to at least slow down the scoria from trying to wear holes in the bottom of the tank.  And a few bags plopped in to hold the matting down temporarily.

Grover then goes off to read the aquaponics threads about the use & mis-use of scoria in aquaponic garden beds...

Backyard Aquaponics - 2011 onwards

Of course my nearby LFS (aka "Bunnings") has bagged scoria for a price.  Don't worry - my intent is to let it get rinsed with rainwater for as long as it takes to remove the red dust, and then to check the pH levels of the water to ensure it is safe for the GPGs.

Scoria.thumb.jpg.c20d00b6181b5e111d89cf5d9977e52c.jpg

Compared with cubic meter price in Melbourne (where they actually have extinct volcanoes in the countryside), "B" are somewhat exorbitant. But then the transport cost from VIC to QLD means buying it from Melbourne is NOT cost effective either!   Oh well.   :deadhorse:

Now I just need a 4.5tonne truck to deliver a pallet load to fill the BBF...

Stay tuned :dance:

Grover

PS: the GPGs are alert, but not yet alarmed! )

On 27/03/2020 at 10:27 PM, billfish said:

Scomo probably imports his home grown food from europe,,, the gpgs will be fine 

did the plecos breed in the billabong?

Hi @billfish

No, no baby plecostomus...

Even though they had terracotta pipes and huge plastic pipes as well.

Here they are - out of the Billabong temporarily while I vacuumed up grunge and muck from the bottom of the pool. The pipes are approx. 30cm diameter and maybe 1.5m long, and attached to floating chains which then attach to the floating ducks! :!:

Pipes.thumb.jpg.eed8e515529d407330ad3f238dc810b1.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

On 04/04/2020 at 9:44 PM, Grover65k said:

BBF Re-Run!

(or "The Bog Bed Filter finally gets put together")

OK cobbers, it's been a few years waiting but Grover is finally getting his act together in the filtering department.

I've decided that this stay-at-home exercise is the time to move on re-building the Billabong filtration area. You saw the tank and stand go in (yes, a year or more ago), and have been patiently waiting for something (anything!) to actually happen. Now it is !

BBF-03.thumb.jpg.77335c4e07c3551245bd207410867ff7.jpg

The tank was cleaned of bird poo, leaves, and algae growth. The geo-tex matting stuff has been laid on the bottom to at least slow down the scoria from trying to wear holes in the bottom of the tank.  And a few bags plopped in to hold the matting down temporarily.

Grover then goes off to read the aquaponics threads about the use & mis-use of scoria in aquaponic garden beds...

Backyard Aquaponics - 2011 onwards

Of course my nearby LFS (aka "Bunnings") has bagged scoria for a price.  Don't worry - my intent is to let it get rinsed with rainwater for as long as it takes to remove the red dust, and then to check the pH levels of the water to ensure it is safe for the GPGs.

Scoria.thumb.jpg.c20d00b6181b5e111d89cf5d9977e52c.jpg

Compared with cubic meter price in Melbourne (where they actually have extinct volcanoes in the countryside), "B" are somewhat exorbitant. But then the transport cost from VIC to QLD means buying it from Melbourne is NOT cost effective either!   Oh well.   :deadhorse:

Now I just need a 4.5tonne truck to deliver a pallet load to fill the BBF...

Stay tuned :dance:

Grover

PS: the GPGs are alert, but not yet alarmed! )

I recently washed 12 bags of scoria from bunnings. Each bag contained a lot of red sludge mud.

I bought a 6mm seive from bunnings which was a huge time saver, just sieve a little at a time.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-395mm-garden-sieve-with-hand-grips_p2961023

BBF Progress !

Thanx @aquaholic99 !

Here's a photo of 38 bags of Brunnings scoria that arrived today from Bunnings Stafford   :-)

Scoria-delivery.thumb.jpg.587e27060ab8a8f20e269ad52a9a8208.jpg

My Easter holiday will be sieving the dry stuff, washing the chunky stuff, then chucking it into the BBF.

I was thinking of running the BBF in flood/dry mode. In other words flood the media during the day, and stop the pumps at night to let it dry (sortof). There will be about 3-4 cm across the bottom that won't completely drain out to act as a reservoir for the bacteria etc.

My other option is to operate it as flood/dry during the day  - fill to capacity (overflow pipes are in place if needed), then drain, then re-do the cycle  continuously.

Not sure what will be best yet.

After the scoria is set, the Cetus Sieve will be going in. I know the GPGs are producing large amounts of 'sludge' so I am setting a hose that can wash down the sieve at day's end , plus large containers for sludge recycling (to go on the surrounding garden beds) .

Mind you - carting x38 bags of 20 kg each = nearly a tonne....  I'm exhausted tonight :faint:

Grover

(the GPGs don't care about any CV virus... they just want their lettuce!!

Hi Grover, 

Lots of fans watching and wishing you luck. If it wasn't for our unfortunate times, you could have an army of excited volunteers. 

Don't seive the scoria when dry. I suggest filling your seive about a third full of scoria straight out of the bag and swirling it in a container full of water. This will remove all the dust - mud -  small particles at once. Don't stop for clean water between sieves but do expect lots of red mud at the bottom. So chose a convenient location for that. 

I used my scoria in 2 x 200L blue barrels which flood & drain automatically by siphon. The water is pumped in at a constant rate, the barrel fills up until a siphon is triggered then drains out faster than the pump fills. No moving parts. This was to maximise all the media as a wet-dry bio filter without requiring a drip tray or spray bar to distribute and also prevent channeling in media. Having the water rise within the barrel pushes all the old air out so it gets replaced fresh air each time (guaranteed) enabling excellent aerobic conditions which is good for bio bacteria and good for the tank so I don't need a re-gassing section (replacing depleted oxygen). If there is a lengthy power or pump outage, the media stays moist and aerobic for over a week. I put a venturi on the siphoned water not because aeration is needed but because it's a very easy visual check. 

In your case, the BBF area is so large that a flood is not needed. Just run about 15cm of water through the bottom as a constant submerged filter. Very very good biological capacity doing that alone. Flooding will not give you more bio filtration as fish load will be the limiting factor. You can't grow more bacteria unless there is enough food for them. And your plants will reduce this even more. However, if you do flood, I suggest to install a clear external pipe or silicon tube so you can monitor the water height (unseen) on the inside. Not essential but convenient for an easy visual check. 

Thanx again @aquaholic99

Today I tried sieving 1 bag as dry, and thought...

"I'm never going to survive sieving the other 37!"

Tomorrow I will dress in my daggiest old 'dog-walking' clothes and attempt "wet" sieving.

Look for the red-mud coloured guy walking a russet-coloured Border Collie tomorrow afternoon :pop2:

On 09/04/2020 at 10:41 PM, aquaholic99 said:

I used my scoria in 2 x 200L blue barrels which flood & drain automatically by siphon. The water is pumped in at a constant rate, the barrel fills up until a siphon is triggered then drains out faster than the pump fills. No moving parts. This was to maximise all the media as a wet-dry bio filter without requiring a drip tray or spray bar to distribute and also prevent channeling in media. Having the water rise within the barrel pushes all the old air out so it gets replaced fresh air each time (guaranteed) enabling excellent aerobic conditions which is good for bio bacteria and good for the tank so I don't need a re-gassing section (replacing depleted oxygen). If there is a lengthy power or pump outage, the media stays moist and aerobic for over a week. I put a venturi on the siphoned water not because aeration is needed but because it's a very easy visual check. 

Hi @aquaholic99

Love to see a diagram (explanation) of this if you ever have the time, mainly around the flood drain auto siphon.

(side note: thank you for always sharing your experience) 

P.S. Love ya work Grover, so glad you are back tinkering around the billabong. love the read 

Cheers 

BBF Progress ( sortof...! )

Hi @Slipshodman

Ha!  It's taken a bl**dy virus to get me revved up and back into the GPGs :smash:

Cleaning Scoria:

Step 1 - fill wheelbarrow with water, load as much scoria as you can lift into a Bunning's sieve, shake violently from side-to-side (the sieve, not YOU!), think of choice swear words - then realise that none of them are strong enough,  mutter quietly  "Oh, my back is aching" ...

Step 2 - repeat Step 1 a few more times

BBF-04.thumb.jpg.a6fe71c717251dfd589ac7a44c347be6.jpg

Step 3 - put carefully washed scoria into large bucket and add water slowly to prove to yourself it is clean...

BBF-05.thumb.jpg.a2723994f3d4a8ef8af1de9625ae8d3a.jpg

Step 4 - mutter under breath, because it's NOT clean!

Step 5  - repeat steps 1 to 4 (again!)

Step 6 - give up and throw the ruddy stuff in the BBF !

BBF-06.thumb.jpg.8ae3093dccf1a241178e9d0306e885a3.jpg

The End.

Grover

(Is that all he washed?  1 bag out of 38!  What's he been doing all Easter break?)

3 hours ago, Pepperbris said:

Could you not fill BBF with said scoria, then run fresh water through/ flood with constant movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good thinking @Pepperbris !

I'm aiming to give every bag a preliminary rinse / wash, then flood the tank and drain a few times. I built a "T" piece into the plumbing before it gets to the Billabong, so I can divert the red water onto the lawn.  Hopefully it will also rain sometime !

Also hoping my back holds up to handling almost 400kg of scoria-washing :roll:

Grover 

I think i see the problem @Grover65k

A very large BBF v's a small strainer for scoria , not a fair match up at all.... :deadhorse:

Save your back and think bigger on the cleaning process 

Start with an old washing machine, 

Stone wash kills washing machine deel 1 - YouTube

Add Stones, well in this case Scoria .

image.png.90b09b38e0ad6b97e2ccfedbce32f259.png

And run , can even chuck in  a pair of jeans to get that stone washed look like this guy...

Wash till machine carks it and start again at step one, find another old washing machine ...and so on 

Good luck 

***Beware if you use someone else's washing machine, I think there may be hell to pay 

GPGs heading for Winter Mode...

Tonight's update brought to you by the letters "W" and "A".

"W" 'cause it was mostly Work;

and "A" thanx to Atlas Aquarium in Rode Rd, Wavell Heights who happily supplied the new polystyrene boxes to be used as floats to hold the blue cover up so the gouramis can breathe.

The old floats had filled with water, and I think the plecos had had a crack at rasping the algae on the base of them - 

GPG-02.thumb.jpg.893adcd8fd2a179eb05032770b57c737.jpg

So they are being eco-friendly-wise ditched.

Here are the new ones in progress - ready to be taped together as giant "Floaties" - 

GPG-01.thumb.jpg.625fb011970fc724e34f569b62b8405a.jpg

Then there's the stringing of the rope bridge across 9m of Billabong - 

GPG-03.thumb.jpg.1826725ac0c33aadd79091236857152b.jpg

Followed by the ceremonial retrieval of the polystyrene pallets from the ceiling space of the carport - 

GPG-04.thumb.jpg.e77a2fa45fd52ee4d5cadfc2183ebd46.jpg

Tomorrow will see this all come together, with hopefully a roll-out of the blue pool cover.

The floating islands will all be corralled up one end, and Grover will investigate the price of new heat pumps / heat exchangers. Obviously, he doesn't want a repeat of the disastrous Winter of 2019 and the multiple deaths thereof    :mad2:

Cheers,

Grover

(Will Grover ever finish washing the scoria?    Will the GPGs stay warm over Winter?    Does Grover actually know what he's doing? 

The answers to these and many, many other questions will be in future posts....)  

Winter Mode Completed...

Tonight's update is rather short - off to the local hospital tomorrow for a procedure.   Why can't humans use good old "Multicure" ?   It used to work for swordtails with fungus and fin-rot!!

The polystyrene pallets have been flung onto the ropes -

GPG-05.thumb.jpg.5322c6da3f3aa80bc60b1eefb4cb3157.jpg

And the Blue cover pulled out of storage and wrapped over the lot. Finished. :peep:

GPG-06.thumb.jpg.22c1cc00c31bc3336ae26c70efa837c9.jpg

Grover

(back soon...)