Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Ontknoping

Meanwhile... back in the BBF...

OK cobbers, I've discovered what is causing the scoria to keep washing out red colour after you have rinsed it for 10-15 minutes - 

Clay01.thumb.jpg.6d015627a76a88ffc5430e1673ecbbbb.jpg

Red Clay!

It pretends to be a chunk of rock - 

Clay02.thumb.jpg.7ddeacbd750804688e103bb37a7c9e3b.jpg

But then either gets crushed by the scoria being tumbled or else crumbles in the sun as it dries out - 

Clay03.thumb.jpg.6e543f0f89e679272f590a0d22a3cc4f.jpg

All I want is this - 

Scoria-01.thumb.jpg.33cce0edb05e4f332d879f1c91e5e5e4.jpg

And what ends up in the BBF bottom layer is this - 

Clay05.thumb.jpg.1a96cf68b551e2f377dcb3b33e642e6e.jpg

Not to worry!

After I fully recover from my operation, I'll be back into washing the scoria & if I see any of these "jobbies" they will get hurled off into the garden beds  :-x

Grover

(Billabong temperature under the blue cover is sitting on 24degC - so far so good)

Later this week I'll be washing 60 kgs of regular gravel.  Any time I get tired and/or fedup with it, I'll just come read this thread for a few minutes!!

Good job Grover - keep it up.

On 06/05/2020 at 7:19 AM, MFF said:

Later this week I'll be washing 60 kgs of regular gravel.  Any time I get tired and/or fedup with it, I'll just come read this thread for a few minutes!!

Good job Grover - keep it up.

Hi @MFF

I need someone with your experience :-)    Are you on 'AirTasker' ???

Demise of the BCF...

So, the BCF (Big Cr@p Filter) is no more.   :banplease:

Filter01.thumb.jpg.645883e30d8c2f40018a5cce4a826951.jpg

And for the last week or so, I've been cleaning the ag pipe fittings for re-use with the Cetus Sieve. (I think I've got enough start with :roll: )

Filter02.thumb.jpg.fcb9a8d3fba8be03b23e8aba7e845630.jpg

The Blagdon UV filters (all 4 of them  - totalling 1,200W) have been carefully pulled apart, cleaned, and are awaiting reassembly.  The Cetus Sieve filter (CSF) is waiting for me find/buy a hole saw to double the drainage holes which will run to the Big Blue Barrels (BBB) before heading for the scoria-filled Bog Bed Filter (BBF).  Almost forgot - I need some more "pool eyes". If you take out the central swivel bit, the inside thread size is 50mm. You can then screw in the ag pipe joiner bits and start plumbing runs.  The ones currently in the BBBs are leaking after a few years. And in the interest of trying not to lose too much water due to inept plumbing, I figure I need some new ones.

Filter03.thumb.jpg.a6f78f7d3e5963f73796bc94f53f7032.jpg

Finally, the ex-BCF box might come in handy as a sludge-overflow collector - will wait to see what I invent as the final design.

Grover

{ His finest hour(s) of plumbing await him ! }

PS: The GPGs are still happy under the blue cover.

Grover ,

How many "pool eyes" are you after? I scavenged a busted up spa pool in my back yard boundary which my creek dumped onto the banks during the last big rains. I'm pretty sure there are a few there waiting to be unscrewed. Be good to recycle them - especially if expensive ? 

And I have several hole saw sets if you get stuck. Just PM me. 

On 11/05/2020 at 3:37 PM, billfish said:

@Grover65kis going into a tail spin,,theres s gpg in south east qld he doesnt own

Ha ha!

Just like the Royal Family - you never put the all the family members on one airplane!

So too with GPGs, you gotta let other people own one or two just in case the Billabong gets visited by a flock of hungry pelicans  :crazy:

Rise of the CST...

And now, the all NEW! and EXCITING! Cetus Sieve Thingie !!!

With a little help from a Seth Afrikaan friend, the Cetus Sieve has been installed in lieu of the BCF.  (It's only been a year or two since I bought it - you can't hurry these things.)

CS-01.thumb.jpg.b417c2466281952dec822b09fc680b24.jpg

And yes, it's rather BIG !

I've lowered the frame it sits on (weight rating of the frame is 1,000kg - it should hold up), and tomorrow I'll restart the plumbing installation. The timber panel is marine plywood to spread the weight, and it'll get a coat of outdoor varnish to encourage longer life.

Similar to before  - the water flow will be through the CST, down to the Blagdon UVs, then up in the BBB (Big Blue Barrels), and then off to the BBF (Bog Bed Filter) which is still being (slowly) filled as I wash the scoria. From there it should trickle back as CLEAN water to the Billabong. Did another bag today, so only 30+ to go   :deadhorse:    And the housemate wants to plant cherry tomatoes in the scoria !

Small technical alteration to the CST.

The clean water drain was only a single 45mm outlet, so I re-drilled that hole to 50mm and added a second 50mm one on the other side to install the Pool Eyes (reference: a couple of posts prior).  This way I can split the water between the 4 Blagdon UV pairs.

CS-02.thumb.jpg.51c2db4db6f419d5175ea9b55ea6a3dd.jpg

The other thing I've learnt in plumbing is to connect all the ag pipe first and leave the pool eye install right at the end. This is because you are always screwing or twisting the ag pipe connectors and right-angled bends to get a minimum of kinks in the hose path, and the very last bit should be the attaching of the pool eye which is then slathered in silicone and stuck where it is supposed to go (meaning no screwing things into the pool eye which would break the silicone seal).

That's it for today.

Cheers,

Grover

(Billabong temperature has dropped to 21degC - no cause for alarm yet but he is a lert.

Also alert, but basically he's one of the "lert" variety of aquariusists)

Only You Can Save the Billabong (By Being a Plumber...): If Not You, Who Else?

Thrill to the excitement of joining things together...

Marvel at your ability to bend ag pipe with your bare hands...

Stick your fingers together with silicone sealant...

All in a days work for an ex-pert plumber - I should know, I've been studying the "EyeHandy"experts on YouTube  - especially "How-To Solder Copper Pipe With Tara".  :ban:

Back to reality!  :focus:

Tara wasn't available, so the Dog helped (somewhat). Today's effort saw 90% of the plumbing dry connected, then began using plumbers tape (ran out of plumbers tape = quick trip to Bunnings for more pink tape) to connect the corners, T-pieces, and piping together. It started like this - 

Plumb02.thumb.jpg.d57d918fa4bf692c76effd1dce952965.jpg

Then progressed to this - 

Plumb01.thumb.jpg.8f8b477d3bf65a7b817a4cbbb85930b4.jpg

The pooleyes had been installed (as per first photo), but I course I dropped the wrench in the bottom of the Cetus Sieve, and it's a loooong way down - 

Plumb03.thumb.jpg.4bb122ece1d76901d7704d4f3fc61eda.jpg

But late afternoon brings that Qld Winter arvo glow, and the inner glow of achieving most of the connections!  Only the emergency overflow drains to connect, and then slather silicone sealant around the pooleyes tomorrow   :dance:

Plumb04.thumb.jpg.14e03f97f0a2478722057c6ce750e0d5.jpg  

Cheers, Grover

(Apologies to Terry Pratchett:

"Only You Can Save Mankind: If Not You, Then Who Else?")

Thar she blows !

The Cetus Sieve fired up this morning, and just as promptly shut down.

Turns out the old sump pump had sprung an electrical short, picked up by the circuit breaker, which shut-down the house electricity, just as housemate was trying to make a cup of tea. Oh well.

Take 2:  (After a trip to Bunnings for a new Ryobi 750W Stainless steel sump pump) Cetus Sieve fired up again this morning, ran happily for a minute then started filling the sludge overflow with clean water. We pause here for some analysis of the problem and associated head-scratching.  Grover then figures out that guiding the outflow thru the UVs, into the Big Blue Barrels and then back to the Billabong was creating too much resistance. And besides, one of the crummy joints from the Blagdon UV to the 50mm ag pipe had let loose.

Plumb06.thumb.jpg.df216046a6c98973a487ca6780f817b7.jpg

More plumbing:   Disconnected the UV filter pumps and re-plumbed the spare ag pipe to run straight from the Cetus Sieve back to the Billabong.

Take 3:  Fire up Cetus Sieve again (third time's a charm?)

Hooray !!   Works a treat !

Plumb05.thumb.jpg.bb597cceea64f53ec3eadc4a2620a4c7.jpg

Sludge! What a wonderful sight!  :clap2:

What a wonderful sight it was disappearing down the sludge hole, while clean water was heading back to the GPGs.

Now to clean the sludge out of 40,000 litres - Grover will be back in a few weeks  :typing:

Grover

(He's still here...  it's just that a 750W sump pump running all day is going to inflate the electricity bill and he has to earn some $$$ to cover it)

I Came, I Plumbed, I ran out of bits I needed...

True to the universal laws of nature, Grover is down to the final plumbing stages and has run out of specific bits!

Tomorrow will see a quick scootle to Reece Plumbing for the following - 

20200630_190819.thumb.jpg.07b8a7df821c7ee1333e999fa8b52c6c.jpg

He needs these - 

Plumbing-04-020.thumb.jpg.92e9291f29126b6ab50d92ed1ad2718b.jpg

To complete this - 

IMG_20200630_190524.thumb.jpg.2ed458e89190ca4c777b95763931a529.jpg

To go on these - 

20200630_184617.thumb.jpg.e157751753d9174fffab0a3084829e54.jpg

And he STILL needs to finish washing the scoria (will it never end?)

Cheers,

Grover

(The plumbing is honestly not as thrilling as it looks :-)

Less Plumbing, More GPGs...

The ag pipe plumbing is somewhat finished - the last bits are now underwater. As proof, I give you the dribble that wet the scoria after going through the Blagdon UVs and the Big Blue Barrels. (Grover still hasn't managed to wash all the scoria...)

IMG_20200630_190524.thumb.jpg.159f43d7ce08e6ad1321b3d92dddadac.jpg

On the GPG side, I spotted two of them cruising around the edges today. They are looking forward to the EvoHeat arriving and an increase in temperature. Unfortunately, the cold weather is dropping the Billabong temperatures to 18/19 deg C which I think is just too cold. The aquatic budget has been bent wildly outta shape and one of these is arriving ASAP.

Evoheat.thumb.jpg.ab77c2a4752057c02cfb6ed35813cd89.jpg

EvoHeat EVO Force-i9 Inverter Heat Pump

Cheers,

Grover

42 minutes ago, Grover65k said:

PS:

Just in case you've forgotten what GPGs look like, here are some expensive 7cm babies on Gumtree...

GPG-Babies-100.thumb.jpg.a20d20cc634f01f6fabc3f1e51f04912.jpg

i havent forgotten what they look like, ive been eyeing yours off over the fence,bloody hard to use a fly rod to retrieve them with that cover on it,,,maybe wait til summer once the water is. rystal clear

Ha! @billfish

For one, you'll need a surf-casting rod to reel in 8-10+ kilos - the fly rod might bend a bit  :ewink:

Two, you'll need to get past the ferocious guard Border Collie that will lick you to death.

And three, the blue cover is solidly attached and backed by polystyrene pallets underneath!!!

Billabong.thumb.jpg.a53b93344c144c9a85c973becc4c5685.jpg

The EvoHeat people sent me an updated overhead photo when analysing what heat pump would suit.

I just figured that the car port roof (18m x 3m) would hold another bunch of solar panels facing North...   hmm...

Best Regards, 

Grover

(fiddling with the picture in Paint, I think I could probably squeeze another 17 panels on the carport :-)

Billabong-02.thumb.jpg.8753dea631fcc2842fefd6a0c0235c2e.jpg

Billabong "Still Water Rescue" Craft

You've seen them on the news....

SES Flood and Swift Water Rescue Team

Canoe-3.thumb.jpg.6e65a76a21d3a94ab531cf7b04632953.jpg

Volunteers admiring the raging waters of the Billabong during extreme flood times...

Now  thrill with admiration for the new Billabong Still Water Rescue Craft (BSWRC) !

Canoe-020.thumb.jpg.6f13434157635de35b1e47a8f2a98102.jpg

It's mounted on the back fence ready to launch into the Billabong and rescue fool-hardy fishermen trying to snaffle the GPGs.

(Not to mention anyone e.g. Bill Fishy)

Grover

Billabong Heating...

What can I say?

Heating-2-020.thumb.jpg.e4fe720296752ae80bd8780d28c12cb1.jpg

The EvoHeat thingie has not arrived and I've been forced to throw more electricity into the Billabong!

Not literally of course - I don't need electro-cooked gouramis  :cry: 

As a temporary measure...

Grover has been able to run the Aquael pump water through a single blue barrel and mount a 200litre electric heater in it.

Heating-020.thumb.jpg.9b0ac0a78f59098865ead2407b20a611.jpg 

He doesn't really want to know the $$$ of electricity that's running out the door 24/7 now  :roll:

Hopefully the pool heat pump will arrive and be installed this weekend or next week at latest !

Grover

(Thankful that he has 6kW of solar on the roof, but he just needs the sun to shine all through the night as well) 

UPDATE:  It's actually working!  The Billabong is back up 20degC   :-)

Edited by Grover65k
UPDATE: Wednesday, 08-July