Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Ontknoping

On 08/11/2020 at 6:39 AM, billfish said:

Hey @Grover65k

Was reading that gg's require a salinity level of 1.002  is the billabong brackish or full fresh?

Just wondering if it could be a contributing factor to them not playing the  mummy, daddy game for you

Hi @billfish,

I don't think I have ever measured the salinity - just everything else !

The Billabong was a salt-water pool 5 years, but I expect it is fully freshwater at the moment.

I've seen  salinity pen meters "StarterPen Salinity meter - IC-ST10S" - do you know if they are any good?

https://www.instrumentchoice.com.au/instrument-choice/environment-meters/conductivity-meters/salinity-meters/starterpen-salinity-meter-ic-st10s

Cheers,

Grover

14 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Hi @billfish,

I don't think I have ever measured the salinity - just everything else !

The Billabong was a salt-water pool 5 years, but I expect it is fully freshwater at the moment.

I've seen  salinity pen meters "StarterPen Salinity meter - IC-ST10S" - do you know if they are any good?

https://www.instrumentchoice.com.au/instrument-choice/environment-meters/conductivity-meters/salinity-meters/starterpen-salinity-meter-ic-st10s

Cheers,

Grover

never used one, salt water is too in depth for a simple bricklayer....well this one anyway, the only salt stuff i mess with is for baby brine shrimp

I'm not sure about the 1.002 salinity requirement but that's practically pure water (Specific gravity 1.000).

To measure salinity a simple hydrometer is all you need. Or step up to a refractometer (about $30) which can factor in temperature. Or dont be afraid to just taste the water for salt although TDS may be more useful than salinity.  

How long does it take for the bottle to clear?

The billabong is essentially one large settlement tank so if you could keep the fish from stirring up the bottom or use a network of drain pipes to pick up the sludge directly off the bottom then your pool would clear quite nicely and hopefully quickly.

If you want some electronic wizardry then have a look at this instead - https://www.pondalgaesolutions.com/ultrasonicalgaecontrol.html

So...  How is the Billabong Going?

In a word... "Good"

Yes, it's still green, but the GPGs are visible for at least a metre down under.

The Cetus Sieve Thingie is doing a great job of removing crud from the depths.  

The Bog Bed Filter looks a little snowed under, or at least  the Big Blue Barrel filters probably need a clean as there is a layer of fine green sludge on top of the scoria. Out of the 10 water iris plants, 9 have thrived and 1 has keeled over. The Pandanus plants from @aquaholic99 are holding their own, but Grover is still waiting for Oxley Nursery to get a new supply so that he can try adapting them to soggy conditions. Also, he is thinking of reducing the duration of the flood cycle to make things a little bit dryer to let the plants establish.

The GPGs love their lettuce - Woolworth stores tend to leave the outer leaves on their lettuce, so you get more leaf for your $ than at Coles.  The Giant Gouramis also love hiding in the Elephant Ears where there are leaves/stems flat on the water and scaring Grover and the housemate with giant splashes when you least expect it.

Hopefully, new photos will be available on the weekend.

Cheers,

Grover

(was up-country last weekend, hence the overloaded BBB filters)

Friday Fotos...

Hmm...

Time to buy some new ducklings from Bunnings!

Grover keeps glimpsing this one and having heart palpitations that he's seeing a "floatie" GPG.

AQ63-03.thumb.jpg.74fb186e263e3e52e9759acf72fbe791.jpg

In reality, it's marking the top of the 2m deep sump pump for the Cetus Sieve.

And so that you know what a backyard tropical paradise looks like for GPGs - 

AQ63-04.thumb.jpg.5a31bc150f25b4a5320acd4e17fd3eab.jpg

But the stars of the show are these guys and ladies!!

AQ63-11.thumb.jpg.83fd9f60ccfe1a0d32f1f4e9fe139dad.jpgAQ63-09.thumb.jpg.d2cb727bf586579473e43bcd8bb3a84c.jpg

AQ63-09.thumb.jpg.d2cb727bf586579473e43bcd8bb3a84c.jpgAQ63-10.thumb.jpg.db9aded71b23a3f43b4bb6ede206a42c.jpg

Have a happy Covid-free weekend in Brissie!

Grover

AQ63-08.jpg

Thoughts on a Giant Gourami...

We all start as very small ones.

But we have the potential to grow and mostly, God willing, we do.

Those trips to the aquarium store where we pressed our nose up against a tank full of fat, black mollies like black olives from some exotic european land.

Or else, the quicksilver Montezuma swordtails chasing females with dark half-crescent bellies.

Ahh...  the introduction to wild-caught Braziliensis - they of the startling electric blue sheen, and soon the hordes of babies swimming in a primary school and shepherded by caring parents.

Onwards and larger still, you were swayed by Oscars. Their personality, their in-your-face excitement, their sheer eye-rolling joy at chasing and catching wriggling worms!

And then?

The giant pink gourami swam into your life.

Tiddles, the first of a cohort of giants.

Tiddles.thumb.jpg.b4b34f0dccf8c1a8e336d267837aec27.jpg

Grover

Elephant Ear Island...

These Elephant Ears are more wishy-washy than a dodgy pollie!

As of yesterday, they looked like this - 

A-ELE-01.thumb.jpg.fca90ad32a9270edff81670768b05452.jpg

As of this morning, they looked like that - 

A-ELE-02.thumb.jpg.6ef145f365f10e82bbc915a1d9e5f6bc.jpg

Grover

(despairing of having plants that actually stand up for themselves)

Is this a dagger GPG which I see before me...?

@aquaholic99 was Right!

The Bog Bed Filter, the Cetus Sieve Thingie, and the original pool pump just might be making inroads to clear the green water!

Photos from today (whilst leaning on the pool fence) . Grover counted 7 GPGs without even trying!

AQ64-004.thumb.jpg.3dcfe9abe14e446cc5d3c661b2055fad.jpgAQ64-003.thumb.jpg.e34e0b5240b755c85b8ea2c4045523ac.jpg

AQ64-001.thumb.jpg.51374effd613512ec27ab9f3b1bd822d.jpgAQ64-002.thumb.jpg.70c8bc205129fefc5b80ba581558fd0e.jpg

Hooray from the Billabong viewing sidelines.

Grover

Good news Grover65K!

Normally the water would be getting greener and darker with the longer day lengths and stronger intensity sun so it's most definitely improving. 

Wait to see if this improvement continues but I was also thinking you could boost the effectiveness of your UV by putting them in parallel with a much higher water flow.

The trick is to put the water through the UV system faster than the green water can reproduce in the pool so 30,000 LPH - 40,000 LPH during the day (solar panels).

Would be easy to plumb up your existing 4 UV filters similar to this link below.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Mariculture-Fish-Breeding-UV-Filter-for_60301616516.html

So high collective flow rate but individually low enough flow for effective kill cycle.

I will be building a 600 - 800 watt UV system similar for myself in the next few months to kill white spot (without chemicals).

I priced single unit UV systems and couldn't find one below AUD$10K so I will join 10 smaller (75 watt) units myself.

15 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

Wait to see if this improvement continues but I was also thinking you could boost the effectiveness of your UV by putting them in parallel with a much higher water flow.

The trick is to put the water through the UV system faster than the green water can reproduce in the pool so 30,000 LPH - 40,000 LPH during the day (solar panels).

Thanx!

I have set up the 4 Blagdon UV filters as pair parallels  - best shown in my technical design drawing as detailed below.

UV.thumb.jpg.e706d51d8c78ea33011c8544c9e6bc69.jpg

So, I think this is helping.

I also think that I need to clean out the Big Blue Barrels at least fortnightly.  During Winter I was doing it monthly, but the sludge load has increased, and the Bog Bed Filter is looking rather sludgy on top.  The plants are starting to take hold (as well as some cherry tomato plants!).

20201128_BBFa.thumb.jpg.4b8b75e272610c6fb311333c6248848c.jpg

20201128_BBFb.thumb.jpg.fe755e15b8a14ea8334707b15bd48361.jpg 

Cheers,

Grover