Sign in to follow this  
gingerbeer

Electric Yellow Legal Import?

I heard a rumour they have been added.  Does anyone know the truth?  Has it jumped to April 1st and I missed a couple of months?  

What will this mean to the hobby?  

Will more fish be added?  

They would have second look and check locale but they are L. caeruleus 

We used to have the Nkata Bay varient years ago as L fryeri

Well, I have just seen a video of some 8 - 9cm imported electric yellows currently in a tank in Melbourne. To be honest, I found them very disappointing and there is no way I will be obtaining any to use as breeding stock,  in my humble opinion my own strain are far better quality, both in colouration and body shape. I do not know where the ones in the video were imported from, but I am assuming Asia.

My understanding is that electric yellows are not collected wild from the lake and exported nowadays. Presumably importers therefore will have the option of importing quality German stock or cheap stock from Asia, much like with Cyrtocara moori (aka blue dolphins) which have been an allowable import for many years. In my personal experience the German blue dolphins are far better quality than the cheap Asian ones and I assume this will also be the case with electric yellows. So I'm expecting there may be the odd small import of the quality German lines which will sell at a premium, probably mainly to serious breeders. But I expect the bulk of imports will be cheap Asian stock by major wholesalers which while admittedly bringing some new blood into the country, I do not expect to add any appreciable quality to current stocks.

Sign in to follow this