DanielJ

Cichlid identification

Hi all, I have a cichlid in my malawi tank that I'm trying to ID. I think it's a peacock, and a female. I'm hoping someone could help me with specific species.

Key features include 

- peacock body shape

- predominantly dark blue colouration

-thick white stripe on dorsal fin

-yellow stripe on ventral fin

cheers for any help you can give.

ID_picture.jpg

11 minutes ago, QldMick said:

first of all I wouldn't call it a female, it looks to be male. im not sure if its a peacock or not but maybe another similar hap.

Thanks Mick, I've done a little research and think it may be Haplochromis Ahli, but still not certain. I originally thought it was female due to lack of egg spots on the ventral fin.

Hi Daniel

It is the wrong body shape for Hap ahli / fryeri AKA Electric Blue

did you buy this fish or was it given to you ?

as Mick said it's a male, not Aulonacara (Peacock) and possibly a Protomelas spilonotus Tanzania

your pic is very dark and doesn't show much detail of the fish, some better pics would help

On 20/03/2019 at 12:04 PM, l2h said:

Hi Daniel

It is the wrong body shape for Hap ahli / fryeri AKA Electric Blue

did you buy this fish or was it given to you ?

as Mick said it's a male, not Aulonacara (Peacock) and possibly a Protomelas spilonotus Tanzania

your pic is very dark and doesn't show much detail of the fish, some better pics would help

Yeah, I reckon it is a Protomelas. Do you have any tips on improving it's colour? Comparing it to some other photos, it's really drab

That is definitely Protomelas Spilonatus ‘Tanzania’ he needs some love.

awesome fish, very rewarding to own but be careful with only one girl, they can get pretty damn rough with others.