Sign in to follow this  
QldMick

why not to release aquarium fish

Wow... It would be awesome to see, but devastating for native populations of fish and those poor manatees (I think that is what I heard). If that happened to tropical waters in Queensland, goodbye platypus and heaps of other sensitive life forms.

I was talking with an older lady a few years ago who lived in Stanthorpe who was given 5 goldfish to care for while the owner was overseas on a mission trip. The trip got extended and something happened which prevented them from returning for several years. She didn't want to care for them for that long, so released them into the local creek that runs through the town. She was born and raised in a spanish speaking country (can't remember which) and had no idea of the consequences of this type of practice. She honestly thought she was doing the right thing for the fish and that it was a 'happy ever after' story. I didn't say much, as she was my elder, but I was fuming inside at the thought of them breeding in large numbers, digging up the mud and polluting the creek for generations. 

there's plenty of wild goldfish in the condamine and leslie dam, mostly wild coloration but I have caught a colored one below leslie dam and another colored one in a creek in Toowoomba, bigger than any goldfish from a tank. 

Sign in to follow this