crusty76

Has anyone made a DIY magnet glass cleaner for thick glass?

Has anyone made a DIY magnet glass cleaner for thick glass? I have been looking for a good glass cleaner for ages and the only things I can find cost the earth and are so tiny! I have a big tank with 12mm glass and my glass cleaner (when its not falling off) take ages to clean because its so small and just doesn't have the strength to clean well I wanted to know if anyone has made a big one like 30cmx30cm or similar? #aquaholic99?  thanks all 

well for me I heard the larger plecos are lazy and I have native catfish over 30cm and a 20cm or so mangrove jack. to be honest I still have some large bristlenose in there but they'll eventually become food, and besides I tried not feeding them for a week and my anubias is still covered in algae.

Well,  I  can understand that the bristlenoses  will eventually be food,  they don't have any armour on them, except for the spikes on their chins,  I've got large and small Plecos as tank cleaners,  and they do a fairly good job,  better than bristlenoses ,  it may be different in a native tank.

what type of large plecos do you have that are eating algae off the glass for you. common, sailfin, goldspot? a large one would do ok in my tank just didn't know they could do the job.

I have  albino sailfins and commons , a couple at about 25cms and a couple of smaller ones at about 15cms.  They don't get fed any thing special,  just what the  africans get. 

Hi Crusty,

If you look up the magnetic strength requirement, you can make your own DIY set. For example https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=aquarium

I bought a commerical floating rare earth magnet called Tiger Shark (has fake wood housing) for around AUD$145 which is quite powerful and handles 20mm acrylic panels well. Just make sure it floats or you will get particles between which will scratch your glass. I will be making my own magnets for 60mm glass later this year as I can't buy commercial models this size. Microfibre cloth which is easily replaced.

If you want a cheap effective glass cleaning option, I use 30 x cheap chinese algae eaters (sucking cats) on a 10 x 3 x 3 size tank with predatory catfish. They are very fast and eat fish poo (which has undigested food) as well as clean the glass. It takes 3 -4 years for them to eventually get eaten but you can add more each year and some do grow big enough to last. I prefer the gold morph as they are extremely fast and difficult to net out. The gold form is easier to see & catch at night when they sleep.

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, aquaholic99 said:

Hi Crusty,

If you look up the magnetic strength requirement, you can make your own DIY set. For example https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=aquarium

I bought a commerical floating rare earth magnet called Tiger Shark (has fake wood housing) for around AUD$145 which is quite powerful and handles 20mm acrylic panels well. Just make sure it floats or you will get particles between which will scratch your glass. I will be making my own magnets for 60mm glass later this year as I can't buy commercial models this size. Microfibre cloth which is easily replaced.

If you want a cheap effective glass cleaning option, I use 30 x cheap chinese algae eaters (sucking cats) on a 10 x 3 x 3 size tank with predatory catfish. They are very fast and eat fish poo (which has undigested food) as well as clean the glass. It takes 3 -4 years for them to eventually get eaten but you can add more each year and some do grow big enough to last. I prefer the gold morph as they are extremely fast and difficult to net out. The gold form is easier to see & catch at night when they sleep.

Thanks for that great advice #aquaholic99 the Chinese algae eaters might be the go then maybe, thanks again mate you are a wealth of knowledge take care.

On 14/06/2019 at 12:07 AM, aquaholic99 said:

Hi Crusty,

60 mm panels!!!!!!

WHAT SIZE TANK........