Colin95

Aquarium Heaters

so its finally looking like a possibility to move one of my bigger tanks home and im trying to figure out what size heaters i really need
so many people say 1 watt per Litre or 5 watts per gallon, but being in queensland and it only getting colder for 3-5 months a year what wattage do you guys generally use
tank + sump will be about 3000L total and the tank will be in a garage, so slightly colder then the middle of the house but being 3000L it would take a while to cool down compared to a smaller tank
any help would be greatly appreciated 

yea i was looking at tech den, saw the Schego 2x 600watt heaters and the 3x 600watt heaters didn't know if 1800 watts was over kill or not? also thought instead of 2x600watt heaters would it be better to get 4x 300watt heaters?

im not sure if its all the same and doesn't mater or there is science behind using the bigger heaters vs lots of small ones 

Better to get several smaller heaters (if you can call 400 W a small aquarium heater!) and spread them out a bit in the tank/sump.  Two main reasons I know of are a) would help to get more even heating, better chance of avoiding hot/cool spots, and b) in the event of a heater failure, less likely to have issues especially considering that most heaters fail in the "ON" position, i.e. permanently on.   A tank that size could probably cope with one 400W heater on permanently, give you plenty of time to notice there's an issue.

Schego heaters are the absolute best you can buy imo, I have 2 600 running my tanks they are over 3000lts you just cant beat them for reliability I've had mine for 5 years or more they don't miss a beat 

On 28/06/2019 at 7:48 AM, MFF said:

Better to get several smaller heaters (if you can call 400 W a small aquarium heater!) and spread them out a bit in the tank/sump.  Two main reasons I know of are a) would help to get more even heating, better chance of avoiding hot/cool spots, and b) in the event of a heater failure, less likely to have issues especially considering that most heaters fail in the "ON" position, i.e. permanently on.   A tank that size could probably cope with one 400W heater on permanently, give you plenty of time to notice there's an issue.

This sounds like good advice to me. I personally use Jager 300w around my system. never had an issue with them.

Though i am in Nth QLD so winter is not a real big issue.

Cheers

i went with the Schego 3x600watt heaters, should be plenty of power to heat the tank, and ill probably grab 2x300watt ehiems for back up if i ever need it but i wont get them till down the line
cheers everyone for your help, really appreciate it =]

ps. got them from here https://freshbydesign.com.au/aquaponic-aquaculture-products/heating-cooling/schego-titanium-heaters-300w-2400w/
cheaper then tech den, if anyone in the future is looking at getting some