Sign in to follow this  
ReefHunter

Wanted - Regular Supply of Val

Hi Folks,

Anyone in the Springfield/Redbank (Qld) area that regularly has Vallisneria and Elodea? My short-necked turtle goes through about one a week and I can get them but have to drive a bit of distance.

Cheers, Adam.

Try him on lettuce or Chinese greens like bok-choy. Duckweed is extremely easy to grow but gets messy. Fruit shop for over ripe items - water melon, apple, etc.

There are a few creeks which have lots of val & elodea if you wanted wheel barrows full but as they need high nutrient water, this usually means sewage upstream and you would need to treat against parasites (fairly easy process).

A short term bath with Alum, kondies crystals, salt or copper sulfate to remove potential parasites. If you are adding to a frozen food mix, the freezing process will rupture all protozoa and eggs.

If you explore the streams or water bodies that have permanent water, you will find plants. 

Hi Again Aqua,

I’ve got myself some Alum now. 250g powder. How much should I use per say 10L of water? Also, how long do you leave them in there to rid the plants of parasites, etc.? Thanks, Adam

Hi Adam,

If your main purpose is for feeding turtles some greens, I recommend you read this link. There are much easier ways to feed your turtle than collecting and disinfecting aquatic plants.

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/turfeed.htm

Feeding in a separate tank or container is a good idea to reduce maintenance and building confident behavior. If your tank or pond is indoors,  you can put your turtle in a partly shaded cage or enclosure for a few hours each week.

Using alum is an old school method of disinfecting that is gentle on delicate plants but less effective on snail eggs as other methods.  As the plants will be destroyed by the turtle anyway, it doesn't really matter if you overdose or over bath.

I had a quick Google and this page is reliable - https://www.thatpetplace.com/articles/dipping-plants-to-eliminate-snails

I use a level table spoon of alum per 5 liters for 20 minutes on delicate plants but also use a microscope to confirm.

If you don't have a scope, just over dose and over bath.

I also use listerine (mouthwash) to reliably disinfect.

Thanks again Aqua. You’re always helpful! After oodles of research we were giving Alex (turtle) quite a variety of fruit and veg for months to go with protein. However, contact with Craig Latta (Australia’s turtle guru) led us to stop all that. The only fruit or veg he gets now is what he would naturally eat, with watercress being the one exception - superfood for them the same as humans. Val and Elodea give the biggest bang for buck on a volume basis, as well as nutritionally good. Hence, focusing on them. I think it is analagous to feeding them red meat; they’ll live but almost certainly not as long or healthily. I’m planning on setting up a separate plant-only tank as the plant consumption ratio will increase. For now, some waterways collecting! Really appreciate all your advice. Cheers.

Sign in to follow this