Sign in to follow this  
vsimo

Breeding Curviceps Problem

Over the past 12 months or so I have had three breeding pairs of Laetacara curviceps form. Each time they have been put in a breeding tank with no other tankmates. They go through all the motions, cruise around together, clean a rock and lay eggs and begin tending the eggs. Then the night following the egg laying they destroy the eggs and the male rips the female to pieces, killing her.

It has been different males and females each time and different batches from different suppliers.

The breeding tank is a 70 litre tank, fairly heavily planted with sand substrate and some rocks for breeding sites.

Has anyone struck this sort of problem before and does anyone have any tips or solutions?

A couple of things to try

Remove male after fertilisation to another tank and let female rear the fry

Remove the eggs and hatch them in another tank? ( but still seperate the parents because the male will still kill the female)

I use to breed aggressive americans (particularly texas) in colonies like africans, one male and four or more females to share the aggression, with heaps of hiding structure, remove the eggs after fertilisation, and the male would move on to the next female in waiting - thats if you want heeeeaps of fry  

But if you are breeding them to enjoy the experience, probably the best experiment would be to simply add dither fish to enhance the curviceps parental bond together

I used to breed L dorsiger, closely related. Bred them in a 2 ft tank, rocks, plants, driftwood. But I added a few platys or guppies to the tank - they kept the pair entertained with protecting their eggs/fry. Once the little ones swam free, I moved half of them into a fry tank and left the other half with the parents.  Worked a few times for me... But if I'd do it again I'd use at leat a 4ft tank.

Hi guys, thanks for the tips.

I was going to give curviceps breeding a miss but will give them one more go and add your tips to the mix.

As old age creeps up I am cutting back on the number of tanks I keep for breeding and grow out and have some other fish I am interested in, so if the curviceps don't play the game this time I will cut my losses and move on.

There is a thin blue fiberglass mesh used by concrete render trades that has 6mm gaps. I use this as a tank divider on a frame as fish will spawn right through it. No need to remove it ever. Baby fish can pass through both sides to which ever parent that calls until they get too large.

Sign in to follow this