Sign in to follow this  
Cichlid Keeper

How hot can a tank get ?

G'day,

Just wondering how hot tank's water can get before it starts effecting the fish ?

It's been around 37 here and the tanks water was 31.

Do I have to put ice in to cool it down if it gets too hot

P.S - African cichlids are the fish

Cheers

Josh

hmm should be ok, i wouldn't rush out and buy a chiller unless the fish are dying. Don't even think about putting ice cubes in your tank lol. Consistency of temperature is key.

yeah most likely to cause problems is a rapid change in temp. Gradual increases are less likely to bother them too much (of course depending on the upper temperature tolerances of the individual species).

My 8x2x2 sits around 27 or 28 degrees, and the 6x2x2 around 28, but both have recently been up around the 30 mark without harming the fish as the increases occurred slowly.

good luck, and hoping you don't end up with fish soup! :worry:

My 5ft regularly sits at 34C through summer. I have lost a few fish this time around, but the majority are acting normal, so wether its heat related or not, dunno

most of my tanks sit on 31-32 in summer , and have done this for many years , never have had a problem with the fish just feed less when temps high , but above that i would start to get a bit worried , long as u have a good filter that circulates the water well at the surface of the water u should be ok

Terry

It also comes down to what species of fish you have as well

Discus can handle alot higher temps then Tang's

Ice as a whole is a complete waste of time in any tank above 20 litres

The fan method is by far the most effective way of keeping a lower temp

Simply remove the lids and have a fan blowing across the top of the water

Though with fish that like to jump id suggest making a lid made of fly screen or something similiar

Chiller is going to be the best option in terms of consistent temp

Brad

i have found fish tend to eat less when waters hot there fore if u feed them the same u end up with uneaten food which creates a water issue trhat and with hot water well u get the piont

Terry

It also comes down to what species of fish you have as well

Discus can handle alot higher temps then Tang's

Ice as a whole is a complete waste of time in any tank above 20 litres

The fan method is by far the most effective way of keeping a lower temp

Simply remove the lids and have a fan blowing across the top of the water

Though with fish that like to jump id suggest making a lid made of fly screen or something similiar

Chiller is going to be the best option in terms of consistent temp

Brad

X2 also gotta watch the oxygen levels in the water as hotter water holds less oxygen then cooler water... more bubbles = more air = cooler water anyway

just take off the lids and use a portable fan if it gets above 30 :ewink:

white the only reason your fish would be eating less would due to stress. as the fishes metabolism is directly related to temperature the higher the temp the more they eat. so if thier eating less i would be conserned, either the higher temps or the lower dissolved oxygen levels is stressing them.

u will often notice with some fish in hotter water they move less , so eat less , there not stressing just go off there food , happens every year in summer , i have more than enough water movement in my tank and air so thats not a problem ,, just the way they are and have done that since they were 7-8cm when i got them , ( there all 15cm plus now )

Terry

You can regulate temp by 3 degrees in the first hour and 1 degree each hour after, but i wouldn't really bother with ice packs etc, just put extra air in the tank for them and they should be ok.

Just saw this post. I have a 5x2x1.5 with Fronnies. Im in toowoomba, and my tank for the past 4 weeks has been sitting around 30c. I have a heck of a lot of air being pumped into the water, because there is a lot less oxygen in the water as it heats up. So they were doing ok, but I was still nervous and they were becoming a bit slow.

So I read a post about putting fans blowing across the top of your tank, which reduced the humidy and bla bla smart stuff, can't really remember lol. But the idea was, when you get really hot, is it better to get a icecube to cool you down or to sweat and stand in the wind. Same with your tank, putting an icecube is pointless, but chuck a bit of wind and it will do wonders.

So I thought Id try it cause it was a very hot day, and the tank had gotten up to 32c. But some mesh over the top (stop fishys juming out), opened the hood, and bought 2 desk fans from bunnings for $10 each. put them on the mesh, facing directly down on the water.

Within 1hour the temp had gone from 32c down to 30c. 4hours later the tank temp was sitting at 24/25c!!! I was like WWWOOOO! The fronnies are so much more comfertable and are swimming around happily. I turn the fans off at night, then back on in the morning.

The fronts are getting a new 6x2x2 soon, but it will be in the shed which is amazingly hot. So im going to order around 6 120mm computer fans and around 3 140mm fans. The smaller fans will be screwed into the hood to blow over the water and push the hot humid air out. Then the 3 will be screwed onto the top of the hood to blow onto the water. Im getting a thermostat that when the temp gets to 24c it will cut of the power to the fans. Then once it heats up again the fans will start. Also wiring in some lights and moonlights. Put in some switched on top of the hood and should be pretty sweet.

So thats my 2c, hopefully I didnt bore you to much!

Chris

just thought i might also add, bacterial metabolism is also dependent on temperature. Any uneaten food or organic matter is consumed more rapidly when tank water is warmer. It is important to remember, the majority of bacteria consuming organics require oxygen as an electron acceptor for respiration (like fish).

So a heavily overfed tank in summer will suffer decreased oxygen saturation from temperature and excessive bacterial respiration, rapidly depleting DO below the required concentration for fish to live.

As most people tend to be very cautious on how much food fish receive, i couldn’t imagine this being a problem for the majority of aquarists.

Sign in to follow this