KL19

Best Filter?? Eheim Pro 3 1200XLT Vs Aqua One Nautilus 2700 UV ??

Hi,

Please help with recommendations about which filter to buy.  

I have a 4ft Aquarium quite heavily stocked with african cichlids and am looking to buy a new canister filter.  So far Im tossing up between the Eheim Professional 3 1200XLT and the Aqua One Nautilus 2700 UV. My price range is $350 or less, so if i buy the Eheim it will be second hand and if i buy the Aqua One it will be new with 3 years warranty.  Previously I had a biopro 2200L with UV which kept the water pretty stable but was noisy (i have sand substrate so maybe that contributed), we've just upgraded the tank and the new stand has no back on it (why i do not know) so the sound will be even more evident, so we are looking for a filter that will be as quiet as possible, which from reading reviews both of these seem to be fairly quiet.  When we used the UV in the old filter we had a lot less algae on the glass, so i feel like the UV steriliser would be beneficial, but i guess i could always get a separate UV steriliser if i went with the Eheim.

What to do?

Eheim: PROs: better build quality, quietest option? more energy efficient  CONS: have to buy 2nd hand, no warranty, no UV included, hard to prime?

Nautilus: PROs: Fairly quiet, UV and filter media included, Affordable, 3 yr warranty  CONS: Average quality, maybe louder than Eheim? hard to prime? Uses about 12W more power

Or is there a better option in my price range?

Thanks for your help  :)

hi I have the aquaone nautilus 2700 non UV (think the UV is only useful if you have algae in the water Colum, should work in a pond) find it definitely does the job on my 6ft which has never been over stocked although I do have 2 40cm catfish that eat a lot. I find it very good value for money only $291.30 at our sponsor aquaholics. just contact them via info@aquaholicsonline.com.au with your username and get a further 10% off for being an active qldaf member. the only thing bad I would say is its a bit heavy full of water to pick up off the ground to take outside to clean and the tops hard to get off mine I have to lever it off.

as i mentioned in the other thread...

Hi KL19

I run a Nautilus 2700 on a 4x2x2, no issues , keeps the tank clean and stable, its in my hallway and to be honest i don't hear it at all so quite enough.

Easy to prime with the large "push button" on the top of the canister and hose diameter is quite large to allow the flow rate.

Only thing is that it is quite a large canister filter and doesn't fit in my cabinet and I have to have it beside the tank not underneath,

so maybe check out the measurements 

If you had the coin to spend I would suggest a Fluval FX5 (or 6) as they are my preferred canister filter, rock solid in my opinion.

You might jag a second hand Fuval so maybe consider that also 

Hope this helps 

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.  :)  I ended up going with the second hand Eheim Pro 3 1200XLT as it was only a year old, came with eheim media and i picked it up for a great price.  Sounds like either filter would have done a good job though on my 4ft tank, will see how this one goes and if it lives up to its RRP $1200 price tag.