Sign in to follow this  
Bubblegirl

What size sump pump for African cichlids?

Hi there,

I have a question, please, about the best size of sump pump for a tank with African cichlids.  It's a 3000L tank (~11 x 3 x 3 foot), and the sump water is returned to the tank with a Laguna that shifts 11000 L/hr.  That turns over the tank volume in ~15 mins, and makes a strong current, sufficient to shift the gravel around the tank  I'm worried that this current will be too strong for African cichlids, as I want to keep frontosas and blue dolphins. The previous owners had a large Arawana and sting rays. So my questions is - how best to reduce the flow rate of the existing pump or is it better to buy a less powerful pump? If so what would be a good size/flow rate to go for?

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers!

If you want to have the ability to modify the return flow rate, install a T fitting with a tap in your return line so you can bleed off some of the return flow back into your sump before it reaches the tank ;)

Other option would be to have more than one collection point and return point in your tank. It’s a little more complicated but if you want to turn the tank water as often as you are out another dump and return half way down the tank. 

Does anyone agree or deny this therory. Have seen it done a couple of times on big tanks to really push the water turn over

The fish won't mind current and can easily sit behind rocks if they want quiet water.

If you did want to reduce the flow rate significantly, I would get a smaller sized pump. Some can be dialed down electronically nowadays. 

Having a T bypass back to sump is good for modest flow rate tweaks but not ideal if you want to permanently reduce the flow significantly as you will have the running costs and wear & tear of a larger pump without the benefits. 

There are lots of ways to plumb a tank but on larger volume tanks, it's far more efficient to have a slow tank to sump turnover and use a small powerhead/airstone to stir the bottom.

You could also get some bottom shifting fish like rostratus. 

Sign in to follow this