smicko

why didn't I do this sooner

hi all, in the last year I have been running aquaponics. I recommend anyone to give it a go, just feed the fish and add some nutrients. I even dump all my water change water into the system.

it's got goldfish in the black ibc with bn and guppies in the white/sump ibc. I've mostly grown green leafy Vegetables but I'm experimenting with cucumber, tomatoes and capsicum to name a few.

anyway, time for pics.

cheers  mick

20190921_122015.jpg

20190818_171613.jpg

20190828_135156.jpg

hi mate, I run a luguna 7000lph turned down with a valve. I am setting up a larger system soon and will be experimenting with 12v pumps on a timer so they only run for 20 minutes every hour. if it works I could run the system off grid.

cheers mick

Mick, are you worried about the timer sticking on or off?

You can get timers that fail on or fail off. So choose the lesser evil. Alternatively use a water timer instead or as well. I find the old analogue  (dial count down) water timers most reliable but when I have to run large amounts of water when I'm away, I use two water timers in series. 

If budget permits, you can also use two independent systems which come on half as often to give the same overall result. So if/when one fails, the other will continue at half what you require until you notice. 

Twice the cost and one could argue this would double that chance of something going wrong. 

Clever design is the key. Send me a PM if you like. Happy to bounce ideas. 

You might want to take the bn out for winter.

We lost a few nice fish last year when the overnight temps started dropping below 10 degrees Celsius. One ibc was home to a massive breeding colony of Glossolepis incisus. :esad:

IMG_20190110_132140cut.jpg

there has been a slight upgrade. should be able to produce anything now. 

The bn line in the system have been in outside ponds for a few years, they just stop breeding over winter.

cheers, mick

20200209_130836.jpg

On 24/03/2020 at 10:58 AM, smicko said:

I wouldn't survive winter in Warwick lol

Have you tried using edible fish in the IBCs? Id be too tempted to not try some redclaw or some native fish (i hear sleepy cod is very nice, although slow growing?) 

i know someone that had jade perch/barcoo grunter and redclaw, the red claw didn't really grow much but they did breed, the fish grew but weren't nice compared to the fish we catch ourselves and eat.

17 minutes ago, QldMick said:

i know someone that had jade perch/barcoo grunter and redclaw, the red claw didn't really grow much but they did breed, the fish grew but weren't nice compared to the fish we catch ourselves and eat.

Ahh thats no good. How long did it take the barcoo to grow? 12-18 months? WHat do you reckon the problem with the redclaw growth was? As I would like to have a little farm type setup for them sometime in the near future

um the fish just guessing were 12 months plus, the crayfish were in a smaller container, he was feeding the same food as the jades because that what the supplier of his fish and crays told him. i tried to get him to get sinking pellets but he didn't. a bigger tank and cray or sinking pellets would help. i also think redclaw do better in dams, although i kept the blue strain of redclaw in a 6x2x2 and some grew ok and they were great breeders.

51 minutes ago, QldMick said:

um the fish just guessing were 12 months plus, the crayfish were in a smaller container, he was feeding the same food as the jades because that what the supplier of his fish and crays told him. i tried to get him to get sinking pellets but he didn't. a bigger tank and cray or sinking pellets would help. i also think redclaw do better in dams, although i kept the blue strain of redclaw in a 6x2x2 and some grew ok and they were great breeders.

Ahh yeah sinking feed would have helped a bit more. Plus larger setups would be more ideal as I agree with what you say with better growth in dams. What was production like in the 6 foot tank? I know its better to remove juveniles due to cannibalistic tendencies. 

4 minutes ago, hamishh34 said:

Ahh yeah sinking feed would have helped a bit more. Plus larger setups would be more ideal as I agree with what you say with better growth in dams. What was production like in the 6 foot tank? I know its better to remove juveniles due to cannibalistic tendencies. 

well i started with large individuals to begin with they did more breeding than growing but the fry grew pretty fast. i ended up giving away 90% of them to a local bloke and just kept a trio.  i had 1 super fast growing female that moulted many times but i eventuality lost her to cannibalism.

1 minute ago, QldMick said:

well i started with large individuals to begin with they did more breeding than growing but the fry grew pretty fast. i ended up giving away 90% of them to a local bloke and just kept a trio.  i had 1 super fast growing female that moulted many times but i eventuality lost her to cannibalism.

Thanks for that. Unless you have a large body of water like a dam it seems like it may be a bit of a challenge getting consistent edible ones to size. Might have to involve some hours sexing them into male and female only setups to avoid breeding until a certain size and chowing down on a lot of males. 

most people I spoke to about edible fish said they didn't taste too good unless you put them in clean water for a week or two to flush them. My approach is more from a hobby side, if the goldys breed I have feeders and I'm looking at getting some balzanii as they do well up here over winter. I've had some Africans in the system for summer and also have 3 silver perch so I might give one a chew when they're bigger and do a review.