Sign in to follow this  
smicko

why didn't I do this sooner

hi all, in the last year I have been running aquaponics. I recommend anyone to give it a go, just feed the fish and add some nutrients. I even dump all my water change water into the system.

it's got goldfish in the black ibc with bn and guppies in the white/sump ibc. I've mostly grown green leafy Vegetables but I'm experimenting with cucumber, tomatoes and capsicum to name a few.

anyway, time for pics.

cheers  mick

20190921_122015.jpg

20190818_171613.jpg

20190828_135156.jpg

hi mate, I run a luguna 7000lph turned down with a valve. I am setting up a larger system soon and will be experimenting with 12v pumps on a timer so they only run for 20 minutes every hour. if it works I could run the system off grid.

cheers mick

what sort of timer are you using? my main worry is the timer failing. I haven't found a reliable brand that doesn't stop eventually.

cheers mick

Mick, are you worried about the timer sticking on or off?

You can get timers that fail on or fail off. So choose the lesser evil. Alternatively use a water timer instead or as well. I find the old analogue  (dial count down) water timers most reliable but when I have to run large amounts of water when I'm away, I use two water timers in series. 

If budget permits, you can also use two independent systems which come on half as often to give the same overall result. So if/when one fails, the other will continue at half what you require until you notice. 

Twice the cost and one could argue this would double that chance of something going wrong. 

Clever design is the key. Send me a PM if you like. Happy to bounce ideas. 

Sign in to follow this