magoo16

TB, Columnaris, or something else?

Hi

Just a bit of background. In my Australian native tank I've been losing a couple of fish a months. I always quarantine and use a hand full of medications during quarantine to try and kill any parasites and bacterial infections before adding new fish to my main tanks.

I thought I had Columnaris a couple of months back so treated the whole tank with furan 2 but fish are still dying but without the tell tale "saddle" on them.

I have a bunch of pictures here

If someone take a look and let me know what you think. There are 3 different fish in the photos, some are of the neon rainbow that looks bloated, has red makes around its stomach, missing scales on the stomach and today what looks like a white lump forming on one side, the next is of a boesemani that has gone completely white, and the last is of a olive perchlet that has a white lump on its mouth.

The white boesemani might just be totally stressed due to being the only female with 3 male boesemani.

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm currently treating the tank with kanaplex and feeding medicated fish food with kanaplex and metro.

Thanks for any help

10 minutes ago, RedDragonDiscus said:

I have flagy if you need it 

The dose rate is 400mgm /40lt repeated each day for 7days retreat if really bad. 

Hi RedDragon,

I sent you a message regarding flagy. Check out the replies over here as well https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/tb-columnaris-or-something-else.427863/page-2#post-4331820 . This guy sounds like a Vet or something. It's really good info

Thats a lot of medicating already. I agree it does look bacterial, or at least has a bacterial infection component to it.

Priority first tho.

What temperature is the aquarium?

And bonus questions,

Have you inspected the gill filaments on freshly dead fish to confirm columnaris?

Do you have Indian Almond leaves you can use to ease the fish back into normal aquarium conditions once the medication train is complete?

I believe it is Mycobacterium Marinum  ( "Fish TB" )

I hope I am aloud to do this , here is a link to a VERY relevant YouTube video about Mycobacteriosis  he explains it better than I ever could - Link -

53 minutes ago, pony-tail said:

I believe it is Mycobacterium Marinum  ( "Fish TB" )

Yeah I have watch that. The only reason I don't think so because the rest of my tank are ok...or it's wishful thinking :egrin:

It can wipe out a single species in a tank , the only way to check for sure is to take a fish to a vet and get it checked , Melanotaenia species are among the most susceptible .

bloating and or surface ulcers being among the most common symptoms .