DLaurentiussen

Collecting Legality

Hi All,

I was just doing some collecting at Bulimba Creek when someone approached me with a work polo that said Bio Diverse or something like that, asking if I am fishing. Long story short he stated that fishing was illegal here and I can't take anything, citing some act from 1996 about not taking anything from nature, including fish. I asked if it's just this creek and he said he protects all the creeks in South East Brisbane? I can't find any information about Bulimba Creek being off limits or the collection of fish being illegal in Queensland, has anyone got information or had a similar experience? 

I had just found a whole bunch or duboulayi too :esad:

Possession limits of 20 for most small natives in qld. Check the Fisheries regs list for more specifics.

But you don't need to take 20, i grabbed just 3 rhads out of Cooloothin creek near Boreen point last summer, they bred and now have heaps.

Call DPI and ask. May as well get the official answer. There are restrictions on areas, species, quantities and collection gear. Its not illegal but it is heavily regulated. If you want less official but no less correct answers, consider asking ANGFA :)

You don't need a licence in QLD to collect natives(provided you are not fishing in an impoundment body of water i.e a resouivor . If you use traps (box traps) you need to treat em like crab pots, they need a float and a waterproof plastic card on it with your name address and phone number. You cannot use opera house traps, seine nets, or Chinese minnow lift out traps.  You can also use dip nets on a handle. There are bag limits for natives as stated 20 of one species. You cannot fish in national parks, but you can fish in state forests, council nature reserves and any old creek.  The only natives you cannot collect are the protected ones, so in South East Queensland that means Lung Fish, Pygmy Pearch and Honey Blue Eyes. Dubies are fair game as are Rhads and Pacific Blue eyes. So inksummary as long as you are not in a national Park, chasing Honey Blueeyes or using a prohibited net, you are doing nothing wrong. Especially somewhere as buggered as Bulimba creek. Suggest you join ANGFA and go on a field trip with the crew, they will teach you how to catch natives legally and more importantly how to get you catch home in one piece (its a lot harder than just catching them, putting them in a bucket and taking them home). As far as Old Mate with the official polo shirt is concerned, he was speaking out his ring.

Just as a final formality I did check with Fisheries QLD and they confirmed there are no restrictions on fishing here and confirmed the 20 bag limit for rainbow fish. He also suggested if old mate shows up next time to record his name and the company and report them back to Fisheries Department. 

On 02/01/2020 at 10:04 PM, grubby said:

As far as Old Mate with the official polo shirt is concerned, he was speaking out his ring.

When i replied, I wanted to articulate the same thoughts but couldn't quite think of putting it so eloquently.  Hahaha