Sign in to follow this  
Finish

Maximum number, smallest fish?

Sensible question this time. While I'm getting everything together to start a little 17 gallon home aquarium, I keep tossing up about whether I want a couple of large impressive fish, or an impressive big shoal of little ones. I've googled around and found things from common guppies to Galaxy Rasboras, at $20 each!... enough said...

I'd like something in between. Bit more colourful than a guppy, But not the colour of money like a rasbora... 

I have an oblong tank, and a Hailea RP400 filter. I intend to have only bottom grasses, with one stand of long weeds in one corner. Maybe a few small rocks in a clearing in the middle.

Any suggestions for a good-sized shoal of very small fairly interestingly-coloured fish? Thanks. :?::)

Yeah I thought of Neon Tetras, Rob. But they're what we had as kids, and so they seem a bit ho-hum to me now.  At this stage of the game, I was wanting something a bit more attention-getting.

I agree a school of Neon or Cardinal tetras looks awesome in a tank like that.  17 gallons is near enough 80 liters, which is the size of my breeding/grow out tank.  In the past, I've had other things in here:

- harlequin rasboras  (NOT $20 each!!) and these school extremely well and stay small

- rummynose tetras

- killifish - just the common ones

Other livebearers would be good also, things like mickey mouse platies.  Or a school of tiger barbs if you like more movement.

18 hours ago, MFF said:

I agree a school of Neon or Cardinal tetras looks awesome in a tank like that.  17 gallons is near enough 80 liters, which is the size of my breeding/grow out tank.  In the past, I've had other things in here:

- harlequin rasboras  (NOT $20 each!!) and these school extremely well and stay small

- rummynose tetras

- killifish - just the common ones

Other livebearers would be good also, things like mickey mouse platies.  Or a school of tiger barbs if you like more movement.

All of those sound good, MFF. Especially the Harlequins and the Rummynose Tetras. I'd probably go for the Rummynose because their shape is more streamlined.

I originally had settled on Tigers, but after reading up on them elsewhere, I'm not sure they'd like my relatively sparse tank. I believe they like hiding places, for when they get chased by their tank-mates. But I do like the look of them!

cardinals

black neons

rummy nose

danios 

sorority of female bettas

scissor tails

dwarf gouramis

live bearers

gold fish

killi fish

apistos

rams

dwarf cichlids

18 hours ago, billfish said:

cardinals

black neons

rummy nose

danios 

sorority of female bettas

scissor tails

dwarf gouramis

live bearers

gold fish

killi fish

apistos

rams

dwarf cichlids

Out of all those, I like the Scissor-tails for shape and Rams for colour. 

The Gouramis look great, but they look like they'd be a bit exxy.

Sign in to follow this