Sign in to follow this  
Finish

On the level.

I've put my tank on its wooden stand, and positioned it where I want it. I've filled it and I've started the filter, just to test it out. While watching it, I noticed that the tank seemed to be "out" a bit. I never thought of taking the level because I've used this stand before. I got out my spirit level and checked it. To my surprise, the tank is very slightly off-level. One "end" of the bubble is very slightly past the "level" lines. Not by much, but definitely not centred in the middle.

I'm quite prepared to empty the tank and put some shims under the feet of the stand, but I don't want to bother if it's not absolutely vital. So, how much off-level can the average oblong tank tolerate. I was thinking that, since tanks can take an enormous amount of pressure in all directions anyway, a very slight "tilt" wouldn't be anything to worry about. But I'm happy to be guided by the more-knowledgeable here. :?: :)

You are correct. The tank could be wildly off center without any harm to glass assuming the base is flat or has polystyrene sheet to remove high points. 

On my racks of (breeding) tanks I use 15mm polystyrene on the back rail and 10mm polystyrene on the front rail to tilt the tank forwards. Tank drains can clog so any water overflows go down the front face which is much easier to notice than the back in a noisy humid fish room. 

18 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

You are correct. The tank could be wildly off center without any harm to glass assuming the base is flat or has polystyrene sheet to remove high points. 

On my racks of (breeding) tanks I use 15mm polystyrene on the back rail and 10mm polystyrene on the front rail to tilt the tank forwards. Tank drains can clog so any water overflows go down the front face which is much easier to notice than the back in a noisy humid fish room. 

Ahh. Thanks, Aquaholic. That puts my mind at ease. 

The stand-shelf that the tank stands on is flat and I've got 10mm foam for it, all around. Only worry now is that visitors will probably notice the tank being a bit uneven, (judging against the brick wall), and tell me I haven't set my fish tank up correctly. And in fact the more I looked at it today, the more I noticed that the whole thing seemed to be "out of perspective", due to its lean towards the front. I still might empty it out and put some thin rubber shims under the two front legs of the wooden stand. That would make the glass tank dead level to the eye, and just raise one side of the stand a bit. Don't know if that'll cause a problem. Don't think so.

youre also assuming the brick wall is level,,that could be a big mistake,,,im a bricky and am ashamed to say not all bricklayers are as worth the money they charge

18 hours ago, billfish said:

youre also assuming the brick wall is level,,that could be a big mistake,,,im a bricky and am ashamed to say not all bricklayers are as worth the money they charge

You got that right, Bill! This house has a few little problems like that. But on the strength of that I just went and checked, and the bricks are mostly level, taken overall. But if I can see that the tank looks "out", so will other people, unfortunately.

Of course, having so eagerly (and ungraciously) agreed to your observation that there are some bricklayers who don't always give full value for money, I must add that I myself have never had problems with you guys. My previous homes were flawless. This present one was built by a dodgy operator, (so I learned much later), who was being pursued for reparations due to his unprofessional work. 

yep theyre out there, gotta be careful, its not just the small builders that take short cuts and do dodgy shit, i could name a very large company that i wouldnt even trust to put a wrecking ball through a house , but  obviously you can get away with anything if you grease the palms of the right people with $$$$$$

i could name them but wont,knowing my luck one of the owners are on here and i dont feel like a law suit

Sign in to follow this