Finish

Washing new gravel takes till infinity... or beyond.

I've disciplined myself to be patient this time around. But I had forgotten quite how long washing the gravel can be.

Got a kilo of small-grain gravel today and started washing it this arvo. After an hour my conscience started to bother me about draining the local dam, and I gave it away for a while.

I'm just using a hose and an oversized bucket. There must be a more efficient way to do it, I reckon.

That's what I've been doing, Bill. But every time I tip out the water it's still brownish cloudy. And I was doing it for hours.

Did I say it was One kilo? Sorry, it's 10 kilos.

I just wondered if there was a better, cleverer way to remove the colour before putting it in the tank. I know the filter will take out a lot, but I don't want to rely too much on that.

I will only wash mine once to get the bigger particulates out then I’ll just put it in the tank! However I’ll throw an extra internal filter or 2 loaded with filter floss to scrub out the smaller particles. Stirring up the water every hour or so. Filter floss is cheap enough it doesn’t worry me how much I go through