Sign in to follow this  
Finish

Strange white rocks.

I was in a store today and asked about aquarium rocks. The woman showed me some white rocks. To me they looked a bit like the bases of coral outcrops. They had a "sandy" surface texture mingled with some smooth shininess. I asked her if they were for plain-water fish and she said yes. I should have been more specific, but she seemed to understand the question. They were $6 each. I got three, but I haven't put them in yet. Still a bit suss that they're possibly for marine fish. Here's a pic. The furrows or grooves on the surface look like coral rocks I've seen elsewhere. But I'm no expert

What do you guys think?

rockke.jpg

it all depends on what fish you are putting in the tank 

if it is coral or another calcium based rock like texas holey rock it can and will raise your ph and hardness of your water,,,,exactly what you want if you are keeping cichlids

if youre not and are going down the softer acidic water loving fish its not for you 

holey rock ,obviously in larger quantities has the potential to raise and buffer your water to about 8 .2

if not getting cichlids

you really want an inert rock which doesnt leach anything ,as with all river sands/rocks/pebbles that are what most substrates are made from

you can test it by putting it in a bucket and just covering it with water  check ph and hardness of water before putting rocks in, leave it for a week then test the water if the ph and hardness doesnt change all is good

if it does and you dont want ph to go in that direction , put the rock at the front door, leave it there for about 3 weeks ,must be out of direct sunlight so cover it up , after 3 weeks check carefully that the rock hasnt changed at all and hasnt started to soften or crumble...

Then after 3 weeks throw it at the first person that comes to your door selling electricity plans, solar panels or religion or wanting you to donate to some 5th world country 

soft items dont deter anybody

Or you could chech if the rock is calcium based the easy way

just get some white vinegar and pour a little on the rock. if it fizzes its calcium based, if it doesnt its not and can be used in any non cichlid tank

21 hours ago, billfish said:

it all depends on what fish you are putting in the tank .

Then after 3 weeks throw it at the first person that comes to your door selling electricity plans, solar panels or religion or wanting you to donate to some 5th world country 

soft items dont deter anybody

Or you could chech if the rock is calcium based the easy way

just get some white vinegar and pour a little on the rock. if it fizzes its calcium based, if it doesnt its not and can be used in any non cichlid tank.

Yes that's the thing; I haven't decided what I want yet... I lean towards Tiger Barbs. But I'm  also considering a shoal of Rummynose Tetras. 

I put the rock in some vinegar but without the egg yolk and olive oil it didn't fizz at all. 

I've always thought you can't put any ocean-derived objects into a fresh-water tank because of the salt that would leach out of it.

Anyway, I'll go get a PH test kit. I'll need one eventually anyway.

[What if someone comes to the door asking for donations of aquarium rocks... bit of a dilemma]

6 hours ago, Finish said:

Yes that's the thing; I haven't decided what I want yet... I lean towards Tiger Barbs. But I'm  also considering a shoal of Rummynose Tetras. 

I put the rock in some vinegar but without the egg yolk and olive oil it didn't fizz at all. 

I've always thought you can't put any ocean-derived objects into a fresh-water tank because of the salt that would leach out of it.

Anyway, I'll go get a PH test kit. I'll need one eventually anyway.

[What if someone comes to the door asking for donations of aquarium rocks... bit of a dilemma]

Tell them theyre too expensive and throw a brick at them

18 hours ago, billfish said:

Rummy nose and tiger barbs both dont like hard alkali water 

Yeah, I'm going to take the rocks back. Easier to soften water than to harden fish... 

Yep, I've done that a bit lately. Going pretty much by trial and error, so far. There are so many other fish-keeping factors I need to educate myself about, that I hadn't got to the stage of fine-tuning the water to the fish. When I finally make up my mind what fish to get, then I'll start getting scientific about their environment.

I've found googling always seems to lead me back to this community. Funny, that. :D 

when this forum was raging there was about a million years of knowledge, not saying that the knowledge still isnt there it just takes a bit longer to get the answers you want

so many of the guys the got out of the game either due to costs in running fish rooms or age ,or purely from life and situation changes

others sell on facebook because of the ease of selling there. but facebook no likey selling live animals so people have moved on to another platform now which seems to be working pretty well.

anyway just ask anything is what i was originally going to say,,the answer will get back sooner or later

and dont forget to cycle that tank

I've asked a lot of probably-annoying newbie questions since joining and nobody's let me down yet. And I thought I knew a bit about fish-keeping, (well, tbh, I thought I knew a lot).. But it was a case of ignorance is bliss. This time around, I going to ask questions and pick brains, and this seems to be the place to do it.

I mean to have a good fish community this time. Thinking back, I remember some of the great fish I used to have. And the great fish I unintentionally exterminated

Matter of fact, I used to own a goldfish that could break-dance on the carpet.

But only for, like, twenty seconds; and only the once...

Sign in to follow this