LUCKIESTT

L046 eggs (very small batches)

Hi - everyone i have a breeding pair of 046 which have now breed  twice - first time i got 3 fry ( one died stright away ) the other 2 r doing fine - in the 2nd batch there was only 2 fry - the female is young but still i don't understand why the batches r that small - they seem to like the conditions - dose anyone have some advise

But Evertime i increase the food it throws the tank out of  balance - I have them in a single tank  - i dont have a large tank system -  so im not shore how i can get more food into them with out upsetting the tank 

The addition of an airpowered sponge filter will boost your biological filtration capacity dramatically. Unless you are talking about pH crash when you refer to "throw out of balance" in which case testing and recording will allow you to get into a pH UP addition routine, to prevent souring. You may even find increasing the frequency of partial water changes is enough to maintain stability.

There is a big difference between over feeding and increased feeding. Your tank stability shouldn't change with heavy feeding but your maintenance probably will.  Live black worm might be an option depending on your substrate. Keeping a smaller tank volume is a lot more effort than a bigger tank volume in my experience.  

Does the female lay more eggs at breeding? Perhaps it's a problem of fertility? or a problem of incubation? Or perhaps just enjoy 2 or 3 babies per batch? 

Successful fish keeping is mostly problem solving but perseverence helps

Are you triggering the breeding or do the fish "just breed" for you? 

Increased feeding and water changes are good for conditioning but counter productive if you stimulate spawning by water change. You may need to achieve this as different discrete phases. 

Thanks for all your help - most often I'll get a spike in nitrates which is easy to fix but other times I'll get a spike in ammonia which can be more of a problem  - I already have 2 air sponges - i could add another one - I'll try the black worms - & it was hard to see how many eggs he had i only saw the 2,  he was blocking most of the cave entrance & from what I've seen he seems to be a very good father